Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

A48skzz
Frequent Visitor

On-premises data gateway multiple users

Hi all,

i use the standard on-premised data gateway (not personal) for my connection to Terradata DB.

As long as I'm connected with my companies network the dataset refresh is running correctly.

As soon as my pc is disconnected to the network the refresh failes.

Disconncted

A48skzz_0-1618509880353.png

Connected:

A48skzz_2-1618510236508.png

Now I thought to add another Administrator for my gateway cluster could solve this issue when his PC is connected to the companies network but it doesn't.

A48skzz_1-1618510102000.png

Admin 2 is able to connect to my gateway in his on-premised data gateway app.

One of us will be always connected to the companies network

Any idea if this is possible? 

Thanks & BR

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @A48skzz ,

Based on your requirement, what you want is to create another gateway in your gateway cluster, not just add another Administrator.

A cluster lets gateway admins avoid having a single point of failure for on-premises data access. If the primary gateway is unavailable, data requests are routed to the second gateway that you add, and so on.

Reference: What the HECK is a Power BI Gateway Cluster? | Guy in a Cube

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @A48skzz ,

Based on your requirement, what you want is to create another gateway in your gateway cluster, not just add another Administrator.

A cluster lets gateway admins avoid having a single point of failure for on-premises data access. If the primary gateway is unavailable, data requests are routed to the second gateway that you add, and so on.

Reference: What the HECK is a Power BI Gateway Cluster? | Guy in a Cube

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

That's not how gateways work.  Gateway cluster members are (mostly) VMs in you on-premise compute cloud that act as a stand-in for your Power BI Desktop mashup engine.

If your gateway only has one cluster member (your PC) then it will stop working when that single cluster member is not able to talk to the Azure cloud to get refresh orders.

To be clear: The gateway definition in the Power BI service is just that - a definition. It has nothing to do with the physical availability of the gateway cluster members.

Install another gateway cluster member or two on a machine that is in your company network, and is always on. Then remove your PC's gateway cluster member from the gateway. (You need to switch anchors too).

You need to use Powershell for the removal.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.