Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chris2
Regular Visitor

Model Refresh with Azure SQL and Report Server

Hi,

I am trying to connect to an Azure SQL Database from an on-prem report server (sep 2021). I would like to use "Username and Password" as authentication methode (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources), but I don't know how to configure it.

I had no problem to connect to the Azure SQL Database via Power BI Desktop.

I used the "Microsoft account" option to authenticate using Power Bi Desktop. This option is not available when configuring the reporting server.

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@chris2 wrote:

... for security reasons I would like to use the Azure AD - Username and Password option

Sorry, but you cannot do this. AzureAD is based on OAuth authentication and this is not supported with Report Server (see the first sentence in this section Power BI report data sources in Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Learn)

You can only use Azure AD authentication with the cloud service.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
chris2
Regular Visitor

Hi @d_gosbell.

thank you for your reply. Using a SQL Login is working. I tried this already. But for security reasons I would like to use the Azure AD - Username and Password option as shown here (screenshot is from the SQL Management Studio): 

chris2_0-1664341524392.png

@chris2 wrote:

... for security reasons I would like to use the Azure AD - Username and Password option

Sorry, but you cannot do this. AzureAD is based on OAuth authentication and this is not supported with Report Server (see the first sentence in this section Power BI report data sources in Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Learn)

You can only use Azure AD authentication with the cloud service.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@chris2 wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to connect to an Azure SQL Database from an on-prem report server (sep 2021). I would like to use "Username and Password" as authentication methode (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources), but I don't know how to configure it.

To do this you will need to make sure that SQL logins are enabled on your Azure SQL instance and then create a SQL Login with a Username/Password. You would then use this username/password combination in Report Server

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.