Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ITQual
Regular Visitor

Invalid connection credentials

Hello,

I created new virtual machine for the on-premises data gateway. I used the same VM name as the older VM for the on-premises data gateway.

After the switch done, we now have issue to have a connection successful.

We know that the connection is working with ODBC Data Source (x64) with System DSN.

The credentials are working fine.

powerbi-issue02.jpg

The issue for all my connection is :

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: ""Hide details
Activity ID: 22223670-d67a-41a8-b849-d306fe201e38
Request ID: a146c833-2e75-821d-f7e4-622afdbeef7d
Cluster URI: https://wabi-canada-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net/
Status code: 400
Error Code: DMTS_UpdateClusterDatasourceCredentialsErrorCode
Time: Fri Sep 10 2021 10:03:03 GMT-0400 (heure avancée de l’Est)
Service version: 13.0.16691.56
Client version: 2108.4.07469-train
***VMname***: Invalid connection credentials.
Underlying error code: -2147467259
Underlying error message: The credentials provided for the MySql source are invalid. (Source at ****;wf****.)
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult: -2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.CredentialError.DataSourceKind: MySql
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.CredentialError.DataSourcePath: ****;wf****
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.CredentialError.Reason: AccessUnauthorized
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupSecurityException.DataSources: [{"kind":"MySql","path":"****;wf****"}]
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.MashupSecurityException.Reason: AccessUnauthorized

powerbi-issue01.jpg

Can you help me please ?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You are using two totally different connection types.  You need to decide if you want to stick with ODBC (although I can't see why)  or you make sure that your native MySQL connection works demonstrably on all gateway cluster members.

Thanks for the reply lbendlin!

The ODBC test was just to show that the server was accessible from the gateway and the credentials we used were correct. We have only 1 server used as a gateway so that's the only "cluster member" we need to test.

How can we test the "native MySQL connection" directly on the gateway? Right now our only way to make a test is from the PowerBI website. It could be easier to isolate the problem and diagnose from the gateway (maybe we could gather more information)? 

Note: after creating the new VM, we installed MySQL connector/NET (latest version). We had the "invalid credentials" error so we decided to install the exact same version that was on the old VM (6.9.10). Even with this old version we're still having the invalid credential message.

"We have only 1 server used as a gateway"  I would recommend you rethink that approach

"How can we test the "native MySQL connection" directly on the gateway" Install the MySQL Workbench or Shell

lbendlin_0-1631571777964.png

Latest version is 8.26.  Seems to work mostly fine, except when you have mixed sources with MySQL and Sharepoint.

Hello,

we tried the connection directly on the gateway with MySQL Workbench and the connection is working with the same user/password that we use on website https://app.powerbi.com.

We still get the error message "Invalid connection credentials" on website https://app.powerbi.com .

Do you have any ideas what we could try to resolve this issue ?

Thank you for your help !

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.