Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to let end users change the parameter that is passed to the powerBi report on report server?

Is it possible to allow end-users to change the parameters on power bi report on the report server?

Want the end users to be able to change the @StartDate @EndDate parameters for the SQL stored procedure

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

You can currently only pass parameters to stored procedures if you are using paginated reports.

If you are using a pbix based report that imports the data then the only way to edit parameters like these is to open the report in Power BI Desktop, change the parameter and then re-publish the report (which then changes these values for everyone running this report) . There is no way of changing parameters in your M script from Report Server.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ArnieWolff
Frequent Visitor

This likely isn't accessible for the end user, but you can change the parameters on a report that you've published. In the Workspace under Datasets, you can see and change parameters you've created. Here's a sample of how it looks on my workspace.

ArnieWolff_0-1690385731497.png

mjc543
Advocate II
Advocate II
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

You can currently only pass parameters to stored procedures if you are using paginated reports.

If you are using a pbix based report that imports the data then the only way to edit parameters like these is to open the report in Power BI Desktop, change the parameter and then re-publish the report (which then changes these values for everyone running this report) . There is no way of changing parameters in your M script from Report Server.

This seems crazy?  I'm new to power bi & I have calculations based off a user selection (parameter).  I'm using a data source that has a mixed bag of currencies & based off what parameter is selected the calculation updates the currency value/amount.  Is there a way to accoplish this (parameter or something else)?  The user will be using the cloud based Power BI.

I'd rather not turn this into a filter by having my query 1 convert to accomidate for every currency & then stack the data 6 times so that the currency code can be filtered without data loss.

Thank you for any help & coming back to this post.

@MilesDS wrote:

The user will be using the cloud based Power BI.

The you might be able to use the Dynamic M parameters feature https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-dynamic-m-query-parameters This forum and the answer above specifically relate to the on-prem Report Server product which has a number of limitations when compared to the cloud service.

But if your data source does not support dynamic M parameters then there is nothing wrong with bringing all the data into your tabular model and doing the calculations there. It will probably take longer for the model to refresh, but you will get faster report performance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.