Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How To Find SQL Queries from Report on Report Server

Hi,

I have published report to Power BI Report Server (on-premise) and would like to analyse SQL queries fired by the report to fine tune my model. There are multipe views and the model is complex with lots of joins. The views by themselves are huge and the report takes lot of time to load after each slicer selection.

I have gone through similar posts but my requirement is slightly different:

1. I prefer to collect logs of all queries fired by the report (similar to gateway logs of Power BI Service)

2. My requirement is not just about analysing query folding on a specific view (which I can do from within PBI desktop)

How do I accomplish this on Report Server (as we do not use a gateway here)

Thanks,

Mannu

3 REPLIES 3
luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I assume you are using Directquery on Power BI report.   Either way the best way to manage this is to run SQL profiler on the database in use.  I would filter the values on the trace to ones coming from the report server.   That is the best way to get what you are looking for.   If it's an SSRS report,  I have found that to be the best way to get the details you need.

For import mode, is it possibile to log sql/dax queries from Reports on Report Server?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@luisrh 

Thank you for the reply.

Yes. I m using Direct Query Mode.

For import mode, I find it easy to check using built in Performance Analyser. DAX Studio is also an option.

Thanks,

Mannu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.