Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exporting list of those with access to the Report

Hi, 

I'd like to export the list of those that my report has been shared with. The list has gotten rather long and exporting is the most efficient way. Is there a way to do this? I am already at the list of recipients, I just don't see a way to export.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Open the Manage permissions page of the dataset  in Chrome, and then start a developer mode using F12

in the console area type the following command:

$('span.emailColumn').each(function() { console.log ($(this).text())})

This will give you all the mail addresses 🙂 in a list

or.... even cooler:
$('.permissionTable li').each(function() { console.log ( $(this).children('span.nameColumn').text(),",",$(this).children('span.emailColumn').text(),",",$(this).children('span.memberAccessColumn').text())})

Check Bart's updated version of the script since the release of the new sharing experience: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Exporting-list-of-those-with-access-to-the-Report/m-p...

which will give you a CSV list in the console to be copy/pasted

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AlexanderK79  , with the new "report sharing experience" MS deployed recently, unfortunately your script doesn't work anymore. I modified it slightly and it works again (see below), BUT I only get back the number of rows that is visible on the browser screen. Would you know any way to get around this?

Thanks! Bart

$('.row').each(function() { console.log (

$(this).find('div.user-name').text(),",",$(this).find('span.col-emailAddress').text(),",",$(this).find('span.col-permissions').text())})

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

The accepted solution didn't work for me (2023), but this did:

1. Open in Edge

2. Zoom out until entire column can be viewed on the page

3. Use the Web Select feature to copy the column into Excel.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AlexanderK79  , with the new "report sharing experience" MS deployed recently, unfortunately your script doesn't work anymore. I modified it slightly and it works again (see below), BUT I only get back the number of rows that is visible on the browser screen. Would you know any way to get around this?

Thanks! Bart

$('.row').each(function() { console.log (

$(this).find('div.user-name').text(),",",$(this).find('span.col-emailAddress').text(),",",$(this).find('span.col-permissions').text())})

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bart, thanks for the update and @AlexanderK79 thank you as well!

@Anonymous zooming out the page to 50% did the trick for me. I hope MS will come up with an exporting option soon!

Best, 

Ayesha

Thanks for updating the script!

Sorry, but I can't help you with that... I don't have a dataset/report that is shared with that many people 😞

Too bad MS still does not have a built-in functionality for this... or is it available in the API now?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlexanderK79 do you have a similar coding for extracting the users assigned to each row-level security role? this would be so helpful to control accesses and manage the security roles. Thank you in advance!

sorry, but I don't have this yet...

but you can probably sort this out using the Chrome developer tools and searching through the page's code 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can proably use the REST API to get this using some PowerShell.

You can of course query the backend database (ReportServer DB) if you have access with something like this

All our security is applied at a folder level (hence the Type=1) if its an indivuidual report you would need to figure out how to query for that within the dbo.catalog table.

SELECT	u.UserName
	   ,r.RoleName
FROM	dbo.PolicyUserRole pur
		LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.Roles r
			ON r.RoleID = pur.RoleID
		LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.Users u
			ON u.UserID = pur.UserID
WHERE	pur.PolicyID = (
						 SELECT	PolicyID
						 FROM	dbo.Catalog
						 WHERE	Type = 1
								AND Path = '<PATH_TO_FOLDER>' );

from where i can get the access of the db

Anonymous
Not applicable

When you install PBI Reporting Server it has to be setup with a database backend. You can see where this is by running the PBI Reporting Server config tool on your PBI Reporting server. You will need permissions to go query that server and DB.

Open the Manage permissions page of the dataset  in Chrome, and then start a developer mode using F12

in the console area type the following command:

$('span.emailColumn').each(function() { console.log ($(this).text())})

This will give you all the mail addresses 🙂 in a list

or.... even cooler:
$('.permissionTable li').each(function() { console.log ( $(this).children('span.nameColumn').text(),",",$(this).children('span.emailColumn').text(),",",$(this).children('span.memberAccessColumn').text())})

Check Bart's updated version of the script since the release of the new sharing experience: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Exporting-list-of-those-with-access-to-the-Report/m-p...

which will give you a CSV list in the console to be copy/pasted

Nothing happens when I paste the code in the console area.

Thanks Alex, the list appear in console but i didnt get the csv .. how do we get the csv?

"which will give you a CSV list in the console to be copy/pasted" 😊

😛 ok fair enough.... this script is genius

Great solution! Worked perfectly!

Hi, Can it be that something changed on the site? It is not working for me. 

LinVPowerBI1_0-1612970933440.png

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

just tried it and it still works for me.... did you open the Manage permissions page of the dataset first? The URL that starts with https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/permission/report 

Yes it worked, I was looking at the pop-up screen. Great thanks!

When I paste this code it doesnt list anything in the console. Where shall I look for it?

Hi, i tried the solution suggested by you and it worked very perfectly. I just would want to tweek some parameters like instead of Email i want Alias. How should i do that? From where i can get more references to make more combinations?

Many Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.