cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dual Mode IN SSMS

In Visual Studio we can only mark DirectQuery mode with ON/OFF (no dual). I choose DirectQuery, and after deploying to SSAS (1500 compatibility) in SSMS (database > Properties > Model > Default Mode)  we have 3 options: Import/DirectQuery/Dual

If I select Dual I get an error.

What is the meaning of Dual propety in this situation? We can have dual mode or not? My aim is to make a pbi file for PBIRS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

What is the meaning of Dual propety in this situation? We can have dual mode or not? My aim is to make a pbi file for PBIRS

Dual mode is only supported in the Power BI Service. Neither SSAS or PBIRS supports dual mode models at the current time. 

And you cannot make pbix files for PBIRS using Visual Studio you need to use Power BI Desktop. You can only use Visual Studio if you are deploying to a premium capacity on powerbi.com using the XMLA endpoint.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

Dual mode is only supported in the Power BI Service. Neither SSAS or PBIRS supports dual mode models at the current time. 

And you cannot make pbix files for PBIRS using Visual Studio you need to use Power BI Desktop. You can only use Visual Studio if you are deploying to a premium capacity on powerbi.com using the XMLA endpoint.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Darren, thank you

I understand, we've made SSAS Tabular cube and after that do pbi file based on that cube and deploy it to PBIRS

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI Sept Update Carousel

Power BI September 2023 Update

Take a look at the September 2023 Power BI update to learn more.

Learn Live

Learn Live: Event Series

Join Microsoft Reactor and learn from developers.