Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pbiwork
Frequent Visitor

Does Power BI Report Server include report versioning?

If a report is changed, is it possible to revert to a previous version in Power BI Report Server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@TOK wrote:

@pbiworkIt is possibile indeed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/report/sql-reports/create-and-manage-reporting-service... 

Sorry @TOK but that article talks about creating reports against a TFS/DevOps version control system (so you could run reports on the number of checkins and work items closed etc) it does not talk about versioning reports that are already deployed onto Power BI Report server. 

Now you can definitely setup automated deployment pipelines so that when users check in to source control the report gets deployed to a production PBIRS instance, but that is typically more of a developer workflow, business users do not generally use source control systems or devops pipelines. 

If I'm not mistaken I think that what @pbiwork wants is to be able to rollback to a prior version if someone edits a pbix file and saves it back to the PBIRS server and currently there is no built-in support to be able to do this.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TOK
Helper II
Helper II

@TOK wrote:

@pbiworkIt is possibile indeed.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/report/sql-reports/create-and-manage-reporting-service... 

Sorry @TOK but that article talks about creating reports against a TFS/DevOps version control system (so you could run reports on the number of checkins and work items closed etc) it does not talk about versioning reports that are already deployed onto Power BI Report server. 

Now you can definitely setup automated deployment pipelines so that when users check in to source control the report gets deployed to a production PBIRS instance, but that is typically more of a developer workflow, business users do not generally use source control systems or devops pipelines. 

If I'm not mistaken I think that what @pbiwork wants is to be able to rollback to a prior version if someone edits a pbix file and saves it back to the PBIRS server and currently there is no built-in support to be able to do this.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Are you asking if there is version control like in SharePoint?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for the reply.  I am not familiar with Sharepoint's version control functionality, but I would expect any existing version control in Power BI Report Server (PBIRS) to allow an administrator to revert a report back to a previous state (example: change back to old version before someone made changes to the report).

Any idea if this funtionality is availalble in PBIRS?

No, PBIRS does not keep report versions, it only has the current version. If you wanted functionality I think you would need to build it yourself. You could write a Powershell script to download all the files and upload a copy of them to somewhere that supported versioning (such as a Sharepoint document library) and then run this on a regular basis.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors