Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JTucker
Helper I
Helper I

Display Last Dataset Refresh On Report

I have users that want to see the Last DATASET refresh time on their reports.  So if the dataset refreshed at 1:00 and they view the report at 2:30, 1:00 should be displayed.  This is very useful in our time sensitive environment,  Is this possible?  Possibly with a query to the report server db?

I have seen many posts that result in the current date/time being displayed, and I know how to do that, but that is not what I want.

Tnaks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cbarrettEM
Advocate I
Advocate I

For a SQL data refresh it will be stored in the logs

ReportAction 19 is Data Refresh, so something like:

select max(timeend) as LastRefresh from ExecutionLogStorage where reportaction = 19 and ReportID = YourReportID

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
cbarrettEM
Advocate I
Advocate I

For a SQL data refresh it will be stored in the logs

ReportAction 19 is Data Refresh, so something like:

select max(timeend) as LastRefresh from ExecutionLogStorage where reportaction = 19 and ReportID = YourReportID

Thank you.  We are working through some steps to get this automated, but I think this is the answer.  Was disappointed that I can't just get high level logging and have to get everything,

sharathkmv

Create a column in some table in your dataset:

Refreshed = NOW()

NOW() is not the time of the Last Refresh. The time of the last dataset refresh might have been hours ago.

Hello,

I want to show dataset refresh date and time in report page not page refreshd date and time.

Could you please let me know what need to do last dataset refresh page

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Create a column in some table in your dataset:

Refreshed = NOW()

Display the MAX of this in a Card visual. The calculated column will be updated when the data is refreshed. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

NOW() is not the time of the Last Refresh.  The time of the last dataset refresh might have been 2 hours ago.

But the table only recalculates when it gets refreshed... So, "NOW()" is thus the "NOW" of when it was refreshed.

Latest book!:

No... the dataset gets refreshed every few hours.  The REPORT may be refreshed NOW, but the data in the dataset the report reference is as of the last dataset refresh.  Pushing Refresh in the report does not refresh the underlying dataset,  These particular reports are not live queries,  They are too large and slow.

Yes, I agree, if you did have a column in a import data model that used NOW() in a column and whether a user presses "refresh" (which doesn't refresh the dataset) and you displayed that column in a card visual using MAX then they would see the date/time of the last time that the report actually did a real data refresh. Which was the original ask. Confused.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.