Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

nightfall
Helper I
Helper I

meaning of the navigation tables icon

Hi all!

I am connecting for the first time to a sql server, and I am trying to understand which items are "of interest" to me - i.e. to which ones i should connect.

i was wondering if anybody could explain/share a link about the different icons that show up:

nightfall_0-1659302491497.png

According to the guide, the items are respectively views, tables and functions.

However, if i may have an idea of what a table is, i cannot grasp what the other items (views and functions) are and what's their use.

Can someone point me to the right direction?

Thank you in advance,

Vittorio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi  ,
A VIEW in SQL Server is like a virtual table that contains data from one or multiple tables. It does not hold any data and does not exist physically in the database. Similar to a SQL table, the view name should be unique in a database. It contains a set of predefined SQL queries to fetch data from the database.

@nightfall

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

Hi  ,
A VIEW in SQL Server is like a virtual table that contains data from one or multiple tables. It does not hold any data and does not exist physically in the database. Similar to a SQL table, the view name should be unique in a database. It contains a set of predefined SQL queries to fetch data from the database.

@nightfall

Hi @Nathaniel_C , thank you for your comprehensive reply!

so from a strategic perspective it might be a good move to check the content of the views, because there might already be an aggregation of tables that I would otherwise be forced to do alone? Given that this source has tenths of items and nobody will explain me their use..??

thanks again,

vittorio

Hi @nightfall ,

Absolutely! I did not realize that nobody was explaining what you are looking at.  My condolences, but sometimes that is what we do as data analysts. Also it might be helpful if you have someone who is a knowledgeable DBA to give you a hand as the code used to build the tables and views should be accessible.  Be methodical, and write out each thing you learn. My experience is that something like this can be a confusing mess at first, but eventually you can achieve an understanding of the data by familiarity block by block.  Keep your goal in mind and clearly defined, because it is easy to be led down a rabbit hole. 

Good luck!

Nathaniel

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors