Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

monty
Advocate I
Advocate I

Use of OData IN operator instead of ORs

Currently, when multiple values are selected for a column (as shown here for a table of financial transactions partitioned on the column "Division"):

monty_0-1626674834922.png

the generated OData contains a list of OR-ed elements, like:

$filter=Division eq 868041 or Division eq 868045 or Division eq 868046 or Division eq 868047

Is there any way to convince Power BI to use the new IN operator?

The IN operator is for database servers such as Invantive SQL in general easier to optimize than OR.

Some background is on https://forums.invantive.com/t/optimize-odata-filters-to-improve-performance/1379

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Did you try this syntax?

$filter=Name in ('Milk', 'Cheese', 'Donut')

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

How do your users select values?  From your pic, it seems like they are editing the query directly to get different results.  Why not load all the data and create a slicer in your report?

If you do need the users to modify the query, you could have them provide a comma delimited list as a string parameter that you parse into a list with Text.Split for use in the database call.  Or you could have another query for the selection, and then make a list from that to use in the main query that make the database call.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

The awkward thing is that we are an ISV of an OData proxy for 70+ cloud platforms (Invantive Cloud). The software is used for 20.000 companies, but we typically do not directly assist users that build reports and these are typically finance professionals with little time to learn DAX. Therefore I was looking whether we can provide a really simple and actionable tip or guidance how Power BI out-of-the-box can be convinced to use the IN-operator.

It is good to know that this is currently not possible. I will ask our SQL engine team to work on an optimization to rewrite the OR-ed terms into an IN. That should do the trick too. Thanks!

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Did you try this syntax?

$filter=Name in ('Milk', 'Cheese', 'Donut')

Pat

Hi Pat, thanks for the tip. Yes, the OData syntax is supported and works. However, I seem unable to convince Power BI Desktop to generate an IN instead of an OR when an end user just picks some values from the user interface. Educating them is quite costly.

Regards,

Guido

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors