Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

aledaniel
Regular Visitor

Unable to see the list of tables connecting with odbc

Hello,

I want to connect to the enterprise erp database using an odbc connection. Often I use this odbc connection to connect tables in microsoft access and it works properly.

What I do:

- click "get data"

- choose "odbc"

- choose the DSN I need (the one I use also with Microsoft Access)

- click ok

At this point I see the preview page. On the top I see the icon of a server with the label: ODBC("the name of the DSN") and no other things... I think I should see the list of the tables of the ERP database. 

When I choose the DSN, If in the advanced option I write an sql instruction (example: select * from table1) and the I click ok I see the preview of table1 in ERP database and connect to it. But I do not want to connect one table a time; I want to see the list of the tables and choose the ones I need. How to do it?

Thanks

Alessandro

3 REPLIES 3
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aledaniel ,

Add a blank query in Power BI Desktop, paste the following code into Advanced Editor to the blank query and wirte the statement you need.

let
    Source = Odbc.Query("dsn=yourdsn", "Select * from yourtable")
in
    Source

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hello, thank you for the answer. Your solution works well, to connect one tabel a time, as I have already done following the guided procedure I described below, but my problem is to connect to the database and see the preview of ALL (name of) the tables in the database, then choose the ones I need. Thank you for your support

alessandro

Hello,

thank you for the answer. Your solution works well, to connect one tabel a time, as I have already done following the guided procedure I described below, but my problem is to connect to the database and see the preview of ALL (name of) the tables in the database, then choose the ones I need.

Thank you for your support

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors