Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pkumarsharma
Regular Visitor

Text Splitter

I want to split text by number of characters but if at that certain position the word is not complete then take it to the end of the word. 

TextSplit by Number of Characters 25Increase number of characters to 26 to complete the wordNext 25 Characters to start at position 27 and go up by 24 to complete the next word before splitting
The United Nations General Assembly proclaimed 24 January as International Day of Education, in celebration of the role of education for peace and development. The right to education is enshrined in article 26 of the Universal Declaration of Human RiThe United Nations GeneraThe United Nations General Assembly proclaimed 24 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
slorin
Super User
Super User

Add a new column 

Splitter.SplitTextByPositions( 
Table.Group(
Table.FromColumns({{0}&Text.PositionOf([Text]," ",Occurrence.All)},{"Position"}),
{"Position"},
{},
GroupKind.Local,
(x,y)=>if y[Position]>(x[Position]+25) then 1 else 0)
[Position])
([Text])

Stéphane

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
slorin
Super User
Super User

Add a new column 

Splitter.SplitTextByPositions( 
Table.Group(
Table.FromColumns({{0}&Text.PositionOf([Text]," ",Occurrence.All)},{"Position"}),
{"Position"},
{},
GroupKind.Local,
(x,y)=>if y[Position]>(x[Position]+25) then 1 else 0)
[Position])
([Text])

Stéphane

Hi Stephane

Note: in above 25 is replaced with 250. I am trying to build a Twitter auto post generator which is limited by 280 characters in due to character limit of Twitter.

The above custom column produces a list. When I expand it to rows and look at the lenght of the text in some cases it goes over 250. is it possible to limit it to 250 or less

Stephane, Thanks a million times, 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors