Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DarinSpence
Helper I
Helper I

Steamline Creating of Separate Data Model-only PBIX file

I created a PBIX report file that I use on multiple data sets. To that end, I've created a separate file for the data model. This way, I can ETL data from different clients into a separate data model for each client and not impact the DAX in the reports PBIX file. 

My gain in doing this is that I can consistently point the PBIX reports file at a different PBIX file for the data model and it all works (no DAX changes necessary).

I've found it to be very tedious to take totally different data sets and get them shaped into the correct data model each and every time. 

Anyone got any tips or products for streamlining this process?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ElizabethTachji
Helper III
Helper III

Dataflows come with Pro license and uses Power Query.  You dont need a datawarehouse

Elizabeth Tachjian

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ElizabethTachji
Helper III
Helper III

Dataflows come with Pro license and uses Power Query.  You dont need a datawarehouse

Elizabeth Tachjian

You can get a Power BI Pro per user license for $20 per month and create Data Flows that support computed entities (eg things like merging tables). 

Currently, dataflows created with a Pro Premium User license can be accessed by Pro-only workspaces. Sweeeet. 

ElizabethTachji
Helper III
Helper III

Try using dataflows.  Copy paste the code to each client account.

Elizabeth Tachjian
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"I've found it to be very tedious to take totally different data sets and get them shaped into the correct data model each and every time. "

Welcome to the club, I guess?  Unless you have good company wide data stewardship (and I have yet to see a real world example) that work - getting the data model right - will continue to occupy most of your time.  Reporting is 95% data preparation and 5% presentation.

Ha, thanks!  I probably need a standard data warehouse so I can connect and re-use the PBIX file with the reports. 

I've gotten pretty comfortable with Power Query and would like to use something like that to ETL into a data warehouse. 

I've also thought about getting a Power BI Premium User account and using Data Flows. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors