Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

acerNZ
Helper III
Helper III

Selecting only rows with specific key and data

Hi Experts

I need to only pull all the row information for only those rows filtered for location. 

of course, my in my table, the key and data runs into thousands for each ID and not consistent /ordered  or same keys for all IDs. But I need to pull specific keys out. 

This I tried and did not work no change in the table.

In the advanced editor of power query, I have appended the following and it was ok by syntax but did not work 

Myrows = Table.SelectRows(
                each Text.Contains("Location"))

Data Input 
IDKey Data
ID1LocationNew York
ID1DOB05/23/78
ID1Mobile001-123-12323
ID2LocationDenver
ID3DOB06/30/80
ID3MobileNULL
ID3LocationNew York

Output  
ID1LocationNew York
ID2LocationDenver
ID3LocationNew York

appreciate your help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @acerNZ 

In your data you have 3 columns, ID, Key and Data.

So [Key] refers to that 2nd column.  

The error 'The field key of the record wasn't found' indicates that your source data doesn't have a column named Key. How did you set up your data? 

To do this filter you don't need to use the Advanced Editor.  In the query editor, just click on the filter at the top of the column, then uncheck everything except Location.

filter.png

filtering.png

The last part of the query defines what data is the result of the query so 

in
   Custom1

means return the result of the Custom1 step.  You can return anything you want here as the query result, but typically it is the name of the last step before the in keyword. 

Please see attached file(s) (below) for source data and queries.  I've created 1 Excel workbook with the source data set out in a table as you showed in your initial post.  There's a query in that file that does the filter/transformation.

There's also a PBIX file that grabs the data from the same file.  You'll see in the PBIX file that it's looking for the workbook in d:\temp - change that to whatevere folder you put the workbook in.  But hopefully the examples are sufficient to illustrate what is going on.

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("D:\temp\filter.xlsx"), null, true),
    Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1_Table,{{"ID", type text}, {"Key", type text}, {"Data", type any}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([Key] = "Location"))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Phil

PBIX File

Excel Workbook

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.

If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Hi @PhilipTreacy 

Thank you very much for your time. 

I replicated your solution to problem and it worked. 

Yes you are right, if my rows were less than 1000? I do not see my data in the filter as load more, still it doesn't show up. I do see and can filter in the data modeling view but I am not sure, which one is more of best practice, filter here at query editor using M language you have guided me or Dax at data view. 

Yes, key wasn't there in the column and also I observed and learnt the following, please confirm.

Though I do not need to change the coulmns, I have to create a #Changed Type to have column Key to associate key to the filter 

and then filter key with needed string ? 

Because, I removed this and pointed #"Filtered rows" to Source and it was complaining about Key as unidentified. 

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1_Table,{{"ID", type text}, {"Key", type text}, {"Data", type any}}),
let
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Thanks a ton @PhilipTreacy  it really worked.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
shaowu459
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi, @acerNZ 

Try this in advance editor:

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table16"]}[Content],
    Custom1 = Table.SelectRows(Source,each Text.Contains([Key],"Location"))
in
    Custom1

Source is the table you uploaded to PQ editor, Custom1 is a step name, which filters specific key.

1.png

Hi @shaowu459 

Thank you firstly. 

I think we need to define "Key" ? 

Custom1 = Table.SelectRows(Source,each Text.Contains([Key],"Location"))
in
    Custom1

I am getting key error and I see in other threads, they define, "#filter", #"group", "#key" etc I wish I know what they are .. 

Please can you let me know how to define [Key] as defined in the formula. 

Also I see that IN has to be same as custom ? 

power Bi Key error.png 

Hi @acerNZ 

In your data you have 3 columns, ID, Key and Data.

So [Key] refers to that 2nd column.  

The error 'The field key of the record wasn't found' indicates that your source data doesn't have a column named Key. How did you set up your data? 

To do this filter you don't need to use the Advanced Editor.  In the query editor, just click on the filter at the top of the column, then uncheck everything except Location.

filter.png

filtering.png

The last part of the query defines what data is the result of the query so 

in
   Custom1

means return the result of the Custom1 step.  You can return anything you want here as the query result, but typically it is the name of the last step before the in keyword. 

Please see attached file(s) (below) for source data and queries.  I've created 1 Excel workbook with the source data set out in a table as you showed in your initial post.  There's a query in that file that does the filter/transformation.

There's also a PBIX file that grabs the data from the same file.  You'll see in the PBIX file that it's looking for the workbook in d:\temp - change that to whatevere folder you put the workbook in.  But hopefully the examples are sufficient to illustrate what is going on.

let
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Phil

PBIX File

Excel Workbook

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.

If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @PhilipTreacy 

Thank you very much for your time. 

I replicated your solution to problem and it worked. 

Yes you are right, if my rows were less than 1000? I do not see my data in the filter as load more, still it doesn't show up. I do see and can filter in the data modeling view but I am not sure, which one is more of best practice, filter here at query editor using M language you have guided me or Dax at data view. 

Yes, key wasn't there in the column and also I observed and learnt the following, please confirm.

Though I do not need to change the coulmns, I have to create a #Changed Type to have column Key to associate key to the filter 

and then filter key with needed string ? 

Because, I removed this and pointed #"Filtered rows" to Source and it was complaining about Key as unidentified. 

let
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Thanks a ton @PhilipTreacy  it really worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors