Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

(SIMPLE) grouped running total

I've seen a few similar threads but none in PowerQuery or simple enough for me to understand.

I have a dataset:

id | date | groupId | value |

which i would like to sort by date, then group by groupId, then calculate a runningTotal at a specific date, and the ungroup everything into a single list again.

1)Sort by date, easy

= Table.Sort(#"Geänderter Typ",{{"date", Order.Ascending}})

2)Group by groupId

= Table.Group(#"Sortierte Zeilen", {"groupId"}, {{"grouped", each _, type table [id=nullable number, date=nullable date, groupId=nullable number, value=nullable number]}})

this is also so far straight forward

3)running total, here I have defined a function fnRunningTotal:

= (ValueToRunningSum, Index) => List.Sum(List.FirstN(ValueToRunningSum, Index))

This should hopefully take the First N of a column, selected by index, and then sum over those, e.g. a running total.

For this i require an incrementing index, which i must apply per group. 

= Table.AddColumn(#"Gruppierte Zeilen", "groupedWithIndex", each Table.AddIndexColumn([grouped], "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type))

Then i must apply my function, again inside a group so i tried this:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "groupedWithRunningTotal", each Table.AddColumn([groupedWithIndex],"runningTotal",each fnRunningTotal([value],[index])))

This results in an error in the "runningTotal" column, i assume i'm not referenceing [value] and [index] correctly (am i missing row context somehow`)

Can someone help me finish this? I'm currently not interested in the most performant solution, more in something that works, which I can understand, as I'm currently struggling with the PowerQuery Syntax and Programming style.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,
this is probably because you are using the syntax sugar "each" twice, which creates ambiguity.
Instead, try re-writing it like so:
= Table.AddColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "groupedWithRunningTotal", each Table.AddColumn([groupedWithIndex],"runningTotal", (inner) => fnRunningTotal(inner[value],inner[index])))

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

AH such a dumb mistake, indeed the "index" should have been "Index". Thank you. Now it seems that my Running total function itself is wrong as I am receiving the error:

Error in the Query ''. Expression.Error: Der Value "1" cannot be converted to Type "List".

I suppose this makes sense as my function fnRunningTotal now is receiving two scalar values (value and index) and then running List functions on them.

So i have now changed your expression to:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "groupedWithRunningTotal", each Table.AddColumn([groupedWithIndex],"runningTotal", (inner) => fnRunningTotal([groupedWithIndex][value],inner[Index])))

So now i am passing the inner[Index] as the "N" in  List.FirstN and and the entire value column as the "List"

Thank you for your help

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Please be aware that M is case sensitive.
You can try this:
Table.AddColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "groupedWithRunningTotal", each Table.AddColumn([groupedWithIndex],"runningTotal", (inner) => fnRunningTotal(inner[value],inner[Index])))

or this:

Table.AddColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "groupedWithRunningTotal", each Table.AddColumn([groupedWithIndex],"runningTotal", (inner) => fnRunningTotal(inner[value],[Index])))

actually not sure where the Index column sits, actually.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

AH such a dumb mistake, indeed the "index" should have been "Index". Thank you. Now it seems that my Running total function itself is wrong as I am receiving the error:

Error in the Query ''. Expression.Error: Der Value "1" cannot be converted to Type "List".

I suppose this makes sense as my function fnRunningTotal now is receiving two scalar values (value and index) and then running List functions on them.

So i have now changed your expression to:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "groupedWithRunningTotal", each Table.AddColumn([groupedWithIndex],"runningTotal", (inner) => fnRunningTotal([groupedWithIndex][value],inner[Index])))

So now i am passing the inner[Index] as the "N" in  List.FirstN and and the entire value column as the "List"

Thank you for your help

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,
this is probably because you are using the syntax sugar "each" twice, which creates ambiguity.
Instead, try re-writing it like so:
= Table.AddColumn(#"Hinzugefügte benutzerdefinierte Spalte", "groupedWithRunningTotal", each Table.AddColumn([groupedWithIndex],"runningTotal", (inner) => fnRunningTotal(inner[value],inner[index])))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Imke,

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried your solution but sadly it doesnt work, im still receiving an error on the runningTotal column:

Expression.Error: The Field"index" of the Dataset was not found.(manually translated to english)

for this expression:

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors