Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmunozjr5

Return Values Only if a Unique Condition Occurs

I have a table that contains these 3 columns. I am trying to create a reference table in Power Query based on this table that would only bring in the Call IDs, only if the same call ID number has ALL values of No in the Responded column. If any of the values is yes, then it should ignore it. 

Context: A page call is broadcasted to a number of Technicians. They all receive the same message with the same Call ID number. Once one of the technicians answers the call, then it gets assigned a value of Yes in the Responded column. The technicians that didn't answer the call received a value of No in the Responded column. Sometimes no one responds to the call and all Technicians receive a value of No in the Responded column for that Call ID. The goal of this exercise is to identify only the CAll IDs that were not answered at all, in other words, that have the value of No in all associated rows for that same CAll ID. Thank you for your assistance!

In this example, only IDs 232058 and 259931 should be returned.

Call IDRecipientResponded
232058J. SmithNo
232058A. CollinsNo
232058S. NortonNo
248830B. SmartYes
256034S. LonisNo
256034K. CurtisYes
287712W. SmithNo
287712F. RobertsNo
287712J. CancioYes
259931K. DanselNo
259931P. YunNo
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @mmunozjr5 

Download PBIX file with example below

Not sure what you mean by a reference table - please supply an example of the exact result you want.  Do you simply want a column with 2 numbers in it (in this case)?

If so you can do it like this

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjI2MjC1UNJR8tJTCM7NLMkAMv3ylWJ1kKQc9RSc83NyMvOKsUgG6yn45ReV5OchyZlYWBgbAPlOIDMTi0qAzMjUYoicqZmBsQlEn09+XiaykTApb6B9pUUlYDm4Pgtzc0MjoEA4pjthUm56CkH5SalFJcVYJIH+c07MS87MR3GMpaWxIcRGl8S84tQcZNdA5QL0FCJLYb6LBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Call ID" = _t, Recipient = _t, Responded = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Call ID", Int64.Type}, {"Recipient", type text}, {"Responded", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Call ID"}, {{"Count", each _, type table [Call ID=nullable number, Recipient=nullable text, Responded=nullable text]}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom", each if List.Contains([Count][Responded], "Yes") then 0 else 1),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each ([Custom] = 1)),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Count", "Custom"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

• Group by the Call ID, keep all rows
  • Create a column by checking the Responded column in the resultant table for any occurrence of "yes".  Mark "yes" as 0 else 1
  • Remove any rows with 0

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

ThxAlot
Super User
Super User

DAX is not only more concise, but more efficient as well. Try with a dataset of more than 10k+ rows to feel the advantage.

ThxAlot_0-1713628454302.png

Expertise = List.Accumulate(

{Days as from Today},

{Skills and Knowledge},

(Current, Everyday) => Current & Day.LeanAndPractise(Everyday)

)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ThxAlot
Super User
Super User

DAX is not only more concise, but more efficient as well. Try with a dataset of more than 10k+ rows to feel the advantage.

ThxAlot_0-1713628454302.png

Expertise = List.Accumulate(

{Days as from Today},

{Skills and Knowledge},

(Current, Everyday) => Current & Day.LeanAndPractise(Everyday)

)

Thank you so much for your solution. It worked great. I greatly appreciate your time. 🙂 

AlienSx
Super User
Super User

no Table.Group involved

= List.RemoveMatchingItems(
        List.Distinct(the_table[Call ID]),
        Table.SelectRows(the_table, each [Responded] = "Yes")[Call ID]
    )

dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi @mmunozjr5, same approach as @PhilipTreacy, but this query is checking "Yes" directly in Table.Group.

Restult:

dufoq3_0-1713622112181.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjI2MjC1UNJR8tJTCM7NLMkAMv3ylWJ1kKQc9RSc83NyMvOKsUgG6yn45ReV5OchyZlYWBgbAPlOIDMTi0qAzMjUYoicqZmBsQlEn09+XiaykTApb6B9pUUlYDm4Pgtzc0MjoEA4pjthUm56CkH5SalFJcVYJIH+c07MS87MR3GMpaWxIcRGl8S84tQcZNdA5QL0FCJLYb6LBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Call ID" = _t, Recipient = _t, Responded = _t]),
    GroupedRows = Table.Group(Source, {"Call ID"}, {{"Check", each List.Contains(_[Responded], "yes", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase), type logical}}),
    FilteredRows = Table.SelectRows(GroupedRows, each [Check] = false)
in
    FilteredRows

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

Thank you so much for your solution. It worked great. I greatly appreciate your time. 🙂 

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @mmunozjr5 

Download PBIX file with example below

Not sure what you mean by a reference table - please supply an example of the exact result you want.  Do you simply want a column with 2 numbers in it (in this case)?

If so you can do it like this

let
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Call ID", Int64.Type}, {"Recipient", type text}, {"Responded", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Call ID"}, {{"Count", each _, type table [Call ID=nullable number, Recipient=nullable text, Responded=nullable text]}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom", each if List.Contains([Count][Responded], "Yes") then 0 else 1),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each ([Custom] = 1)),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"Count", "Custom"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

• Group by the Call ID, keep all rows
  • Create a column by checking the Responded column in the resultant table for any occurrence of "yes".  Mark "yes" as 0 else 1
  • Remove any rows with 0

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors