Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

flow12345

Refresh Power Query on Excel Web

Hi I have an excel file that has multiple queries. The source for the queries are from sharepoint. Everything is working fine for me when i refresh my queries in excel desktop. 

But when i upload this excel file to sharepoint, i have issues with refreshing the queries. 

I keep getting the following message:
This workbook contains Power Query queries using data sources that can't be refreshed in Excel for the Web

flow12345_0-1693384063770.png

I read somewhere that excel web does not support power query refresh other than Table/Range or OData feeds. So I'm wondering if there's anyway for me to refresh the queries like using Data connector etc. 

I thought uploading my source file to sharepoint will work but sadly it doesnt. 😞

Any help will be appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
christinepayton
Super User
Super User

If you open the Excel file in the desktop app from SharePoint, it should work (it's in the ellipsis menu or toolbar from the web UI - you can choose browser or desktop app). 

But if you want to schedule refresh, I would recommend making a Power BI report/dataset - you can open those in "analyze in Excel" to use them in Excel. That way you won't have to push the refresh button at all. 🙂

jennratten
Super User
Super User

You can get SharePoint list data using OData like this: 

• Open Power BI Desktop > at Home Tab > Click on Get Data > Select OData Feed.
  • Type the OData Feed URL for the SharePoint "http://siteurl/_vti_bin/listdata.svc" > Click Connect.
    • ListData.svc provides a way of getting information from a list using REST.
  • In Navigator dialog, Select the required list > Click Load.
  • You should now find the list fields in Fields section, and you should be ready to build your report from SharePoint list items.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors