Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Thomas_DE
Regular Visitor

Referencing data from another row

I have a Table with the following structure

TitleEntryData
A10MasterData 1
A23SpecialData
A54null
B10MasterData 2
B34null
B576null
C10null
C21312null

What i want to achieve in Power Query M is that for some entries in the table i have "MasterData" which is always under Entry "10" for the corresponding Title, some may also have SpecialData which i don´t want to touch...

The Table i would want to have would be like this:

TitleEntryData
A10MasterData 1
A23SpecialData
A54MasterData 1
B10MasterData 2
B34MasterData 2
B576MasterData 2
C10null
C21312null

So i would need to somehow reference always the Data from Entry "10" for all null values of the same title data. It could also be in a new added column if that´s easier. Filldown is not helping in this case either unfortunately because i cannot restrict it to the same Title. I just found a working formula replacing the null value with an value of the same row... how can i shift that reference to always return the corresponding Title "10" Entry if there is one?

= Table.AddColumn(#"xxx", "Data", each if [Data] = null then [Entry] else [Data], type text)

This "[Entry]" i would need to point to the corresponding 10 entry of the same title...

Any hint how to do that is very appreciated! Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

NewStep=Table.Combine(Table.Group(PreviousStepName,"Title",{"n",each Table.ReplaceValue(_,"","",(x,y,z)=>x??_{[Entry=10]}?[Data],{"Data"})})[n])

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

NewStep=Table.Combine(Table.Group(PreviousStepName,"Title",{"n",each Table.ReplaceValue(_,"","",(x,y,z)=>x??_{[Entry=10]}?[Data],{"Data"})})[n])

Thanks! This is working as I need it, I don´t understand it yet but I´ll go through it step by step till i do.

jbwtp
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @Thomas_DE,

I think this does what you are after. Please try.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTI0ABK+icUlqUUuiSWJCoZKsToQGSNjIBFckJqcmZgDkoJLmJoAibzSnBywiBMWQ4zgMsYYak3NzZCFnGHaUUSMDI0NjeCCsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Title = _t, Entry = _t, Data = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Title", type text}, {"Entry", Int64.Type}, {"Data", type text}}),
    fTransform = (t as table) as table =>
        let 
            Transform = List.Skip(List.Accumulate(Table.ToRecords(t), {{null, {}}}, (a, n)=>  a &  (if n[Entry] = 10 then {{n[Data], n }} else {{List.Last(a){0}, if n[Data]="null" then Record.TransformFields(n, {{"Data", (x)=> List.Last(a){0}}}) else n }}))),
            Output = Table.FromRecords(List.Zip(Transform){1}, Value.Type(t))
        in
            Output,
    next = #"Changed Type",
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Combine(Table.Group(next, {"Title"}, {{"Count", fTransform}})[Count])
    in #"Grouped Rows"

Kind regards,

John

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabcon_Europe_Social_Bogo

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors