Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

m_chan
Regular Visitor

Query won't apply to Desktop

Hello. I've been running into an issue lately where whenever I make a change in Power Query, nothing happens when I hit the "Apply" button to get any changes applied to the Desktop/Dashboard. Even if I hit "Close & Apply" in Query, no changes are pushed into my Desktop/Dashboard. I do not get any error messages, and the yellow ribbon about applying changes in my Query does not show up either. 

I've tried just closing my PowerBI and restarting my laptop - sometimes this works, and sometimes this doesn't. Does anyone have suggestions on what could be causing this disconnect?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @m_chan ,

1. Ensure you have the latest version of Power BI Desktop installed. Microsoft frequently releases updates that fix known issues.
Download Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

2. Verify that the data source credentials are correct and that you have the necessary permissions to edit and apply changes.
3. Look for any possible errors in your queries that might prevent the application from applying the changes. Even if you don't see an error message, there could be warnings or issues within the Applied Steps in Power Query.
4. Sometimes, Power Query may have pending changes that prevent successful application. Look out for any yellow warning bars indicating pending changes. 

vcgaomsft_0-1707274104915.png
5. Clear the cache from Power BI.
6. Try replicating the issue with a different Power BI file or a new one. This can help determine if the issue is file-specific.

If you continue to experience the issue after trying these steps, it may be helpful to gather more detailed information about your situation. For instance:

Does this happen with all queries or only specific ones?
Are there any specific types of changes (e.g., adding columns, changing data types) that are not being applied?

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum -- China Power BI User Group

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
m_chan
Regular Visitor

Thank you! I think a combo of going back through each query to comb through each Applied Step, refreshing all my queries, and clearing my cache did the trick!

v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @m_chan ,

1. Ensure you have the latest version of Power BI Desktop installed. Microsoft frequently releases updates that fix known issues.
Download Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

2. Verify that the data source credentials are correct and that you have the necessary permissions to edit and apply changes.
3. Look for any possible errors in your queries that might prevent the application from applying the changes. Even if you don't see an error message, there could be warnings or issues within the Applied Steps in Power Query.
4. Sometimes, Power Query may have pending changes that prevent successful application. Look out for any yellow warning bars indicating pending changes. 

vcgaomsft_0-1707274104915.png
5. Clear the cache from Power BI.
6. Try replicating the issue with a different Power BI file or a new one. This can help determine if the issue is file-specific.

If you continue to experience the issue after trying these steps, it may be helpful to gather more detailed information about your situation. For instance:

Does this happen with all queries or only specific ones?
Are there any specific types of changes (e.g., adding columns, changing data types) that are not being applied?

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly.
If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum -- China Power BI User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors