Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

juanverge

Query -Append only new data every time query is activated

Hi everyone,
I´m trying to set an Append query or similar that works as Access does. I mean, I have a main table (1) and then another table (2) that is going to receive new information all the time. I need to append only the new information from 2 to 1. The tricky part is that once I appended the information I don’t want it to be refreshed if it was modified in some of the fields because I need to keep the historical data as the moment that I took it.
So I need the query to do a kind of comparison between the tables and look for the rows that are not in (1), and if I create a simple query, every time I activate the query it’s going to refresh the information again. That’s why I mentioned the Access where you can create a query that appends the information and next time you activate the query the table (1) starts the comparison with the previous data appended included.
I tried with a query with the “if Table.IsEmpty” and didn’t succeed. Perhaps I should use something different than a query. Please let me know if I wasn’t clear. Thanks in advance!

Juan

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello

were you able to solve the problem with any reply given?

If so, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

All the best

Jimmy

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @juanverge 

Try this article/video maybe you can leverage this technique?

http://excel-inside.pro/blog/2019/03/21/video-semi-incremental-refresh-for-pro-accounts-in-power-bi/

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @juanverge 

I think using Power Query in Excel a solution for this could be found. The process could look like this

- create query to retrieve data and add a unique key by combining data of any row (data has to be stable... no changes on this fileds - in order to get a really unique key per row)

- load the data to a sheet without refreshing it and then to create a loop and a inner join to combine old a new data.

would such a solution fit your needs?

Jimmy

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @juanverge ,

Sorry for that, but we cannot store the the data we need by appending a query, all the query will be run again when refresh. For example, the query2 is change every time, if we append the query2 into the query1, then it will get all the data from query2 and append it to the query, although we can still choose the data of query 2 to append, but the query1 will be refresh as new from the data source. we can use Increasement Refresh to get the part of data, please refer to the service-premium-incremental-refresh.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors