Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

enricofa
Regular Visitor

Power Query group-by performance

Hi guys,

I have a performance issue with a query that get stuck on the group-by step, and I would like to understand if there's something I can do to improve the query.

Basically, I have two tables Parameters1 and Parameters2, containing info from different sources. I have to combine them in a single table FT_Parameters to store unique parameters with an additional column to know the source (1, 2 or both), like in the example below.

I have this

Parameters1 Parameters2
Param ParamType
A BInput
B COutput
C DInput
E   

And I want to achieve this

FT_Parameters
ParamTypeSource
A-1
BInputBoth
COutputBoth
DInput2
E-1

Currently I append the two tables and then I use a group-by taking the max of type and a new column with row count. Finally I create a new conditional column and remove count column

Appended = Table.Combine({Parameters1, Parameters2})
Grouped = Table.Group(Appended, {"Param"}, {{"Param_Type", each List.Max([Type]), type text}, {"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), Int64.Type}})
AddedSource = Table.AddColumn(Grouped, "Source", each if [Param_Type] = null
then "1"
else if [Count] = 1
then "2"
else "Both")
RemovedCount= Table.RemoveColumns(AddedSource, {"Count"})

This solution is very slow even with a little data. Is there some trick to improve performance (or alternative solutions)?

I've tried using join between tables but as I expected it was even slower.

Thank you,

Enrico

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @enricofa ,

these transformations shouldn't be terribly slow per se.
So I'd recommend to buffer the data that goes into them:

Appended = Table.Buffer(Table.Combine({Parameters1, Parameters2}))
Grouped = Table.Group(Appended, {"Param"}, {{"Param_Type", each List.Max([Type]), type text}, {"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), Int64.Type}})
then "1"
else if [Count] = 1
then "2"
else "Both")

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @enricofa ,

these transformations shouldn't be terribly slow per se.
So I'd recommend to buffer the data that goes into them:

Appended = Table.Buffer(Table.Combine({Parameters1, Parameters2}))
then "1"
else if [Count] = 1
then "2"
else "Both")

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Thank you @ImkeF,

It results in a 10% faster refresh. Unfortunately it's still too slow for my purposes.

I find it strange too, maybe it is due to the key I use for grouping (column Param) being a long text field.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors