Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

CarstenF

Power Query duplicates data

Before data can be loaded into Power BI, they have been transformed and modified with Excel’s Power Query. I have two sets of data. After transforming them, they have the same structure and same column header. To reach this point, I used the following mapping table to assign each Entity a certain Country. Normally there is a 1:1 match, except for those entities below.

Entity

Country

187 - CROATIA

Croatia

194 - SLOVENIA

Croatia

179 - CZECH REPUBLIC

Czech

193 - SLOVAKIA

Czech

177 - HUNGARY

Hungary

577 - HUNGARY

Hungary

256 - LEBANON

Lebanon

261 - LEBANON

Lebanon

To combine both data sets, I have used

= Table.Combine({data_set_1, data_set_2})

in Excel’s Power Query Editor.

The result astonishes me: For the countries above (Coration, Czech, Hungary, Lebanon) the data of data_set_1 have been duplicated! All other countries are fine (which are not on the list above and which had a 1:1 relationship). However, I haven’t linked the mapping table as a reference to the newly created combined table in “Manage Data Model”. Data_set1 and data_set_2 have been double checked before the have been combined and they don’t contain any duplicated rows.

My question is: Why is Power Query using a mapping table although it has not been instructed to do so? How can I “switch” of this unintended function?

Any hints and comments are highly appreciated.

Thanks, Carsten

1 REPLY 1
Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @CarstenF 

I cannot follow you. Why should Power Query using a mapping table if you didn't tell to do so? Could you post the M-code, some files or screenshot to understand what your queries are about and where the exact error is?

BR

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors