Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

BIWorker10AW
Helper I
Helper I

Power Query Takes Forever to Load

i have 4 tables of max 1000 rows consolidated (using append queries) into a single table, The Power Query not only takes long time to load also sucks the memory and battery of my laptop. It has not happened before and i have also added steps using Advanced Editor, in the consolidated table  Any one knows what's the issue and how to fix this?

1 REPLY 1
123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

If your Power Query is taking an excessively long time to load and is consuming significant resources, there could be several reasons behind this behavior. Here are some common troubleshooting steps and potential solutions:

1. Review the Query Steps:
    • Open the Power Query Editor and review each step in your query. Ensure that there are no unnecessary transformations or steps that could be causing the delay. Remove any steps that are not required.
  2. Check for Circular References:
    • Ensure that there are no circular references in your queries. Circular references can cause Power Query to consume more resources and may lead to longer loading times.
  3. Optimize Transformations:
    • Limit the number of transformations applied to your data. Try to perform as many transformations as possible within the initial query rather than adding multiple subsequent steps.
    • Avoid unnecessary sorting or filtering unless it's essential for your analysis.
  4. Use Native Queries:
    • Whenever possible, use native SQL queries if you're connecting to a SQL database. Native queries can often perform faster than transformations within Power Query.
  5. Update Power Query:
    • Ensure that you're using the latest version of Power Query. Sometimes, updating the software can resolve performance issues related to bugs or compatibility issues.
  6. Increase System Resources:
    • If possible, close other applications running on your laptop to free up system resources. This includes closing unnecessary browser tabs, applications, and processes.
    • Consider increasing the RAM on your laptop if it's feasible.
  7. Check for External Factors:
    • Ensure that your network connection is stable. Slow network speeds or intermittent connectivity issues can also impact the performance of Power Query.
    • If you're working with data stored on an external server or cloud service, ensure that the server or service is not experiencing any issues or slowdowns.
  8. Advanced Editor:
    • Since you mentioned using the Advanced Editor, double-check your M code for any inefficiencies. Sometimes, manually editing the code can introduce performance issues if not done correctly.
  9. Monitor Resource Usage:
    • Use Task Manager (Windows) or Activity Monitor (Mac) to monitor CPU, memory, and disk usage while running Power Query. This can help identify if Power Query is the primary culprit or if other processes are consuming resources.
  10. Consider Splitting Data:
  • If none of the above solutions resolve the issue, consider splitting your data into smaller chunks or tables and consolidating them after applying necessary transformations. This can help in isolating the problem and improving performance.

By systematically troubleshooting and applying these suggestions, you should be able to identify and resolve the underlying issue causing Power Query to consume excessive resources and take a long time to load.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors