Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

khom
Frequent Visitor

Power Query - How do I Categorize "Table1" based on "Lookup_Table"

Hi,

I'm newbie for power query. I'm looking forward to have this categorization since I have a lot of data with this data arrangement.

I have this "Table1" (blue color) which contains "Combo"  column, and I want to categorize the Table accordingly to "Lookup_Table" (orange). Here's my expected output table in green color. My condition is if Table1, Item1 ("A-B-C-D-E") contains "A-B-C" and not in particular order, it will categorize it as Football. Same as Item#2 ("F-G-H") , if  Combo contains "F-H"  it will categorize it as Basketball.

Screenshot 2022-12-28 143507.png

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Mahesh0016
Super User
Super User

@khom 

>> Go to power query >> select "Table1" >> Go to Home tab Merge Queries >> Select Lookup Table >> Select Bottom Use fuzzy Matching >> Get Your Out Put >> Select Merge Queries and as new your needs.

Mahesh0016_1-1672222607577.png

Mahesh0016_0-1672222556891.png

**Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

View solution in original post

Hi @khom ,
I would use the List.ContainsAll function for it.
Therefore you have to split up the strings into list by using "-" as delimiter:

let
  Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name = "Table1"]}[Content], 
  #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source, {{"Item", Int64.Type}, {"Combo", type text}}), 
  #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "ListOfValues", each Text.Split([Combo], "-")), 
  #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(
    #"Added Custom", 
    "Category", 
    each Table.SelectRows(
      Lookup_Table, 
      (LookupTable) => List.ContainsAll([ListOfValues], LookupTable[ListOfValues])
    ){0}?[Category]?
  )
in
  #"Added Custom1"

Please also check the file enclosed.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @khom 

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps. See it all at work in the attached file.

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Item", Int64.Type}, {"Combo", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Category", each 
    let 
       combo_ = Text.Split([Combo], "-"),
       res_ = Table.SelectRows(LookUpTable, (inner)=> List.Count(List.Intersect({combo_, Text.Split(inner[Lookup], "-")})) = List.Count(Text.Split(inner[Lookup], "-")))
    in 
       try res_[Category]{0} otherwise null),

#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom1",{{"Category", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

12 REPLIES 12
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi  ,
The expression "(Lookuptable)=> " is the beginning of a definition of a function. That function has one argument: The (current) row of the Lookuptable (according to your specification).
Usually, this is identical with the "each" keyword that will be used by Power Query automatically when creating a Table.SelectRow statement. But I am using it in an area where the "each" keyword is used already, therefore to avoid ambiguity, I have to use a specific function declaration.

A number in curly bracket {0} is the positional index operator and picks the n-th element of the object it is applied to (usually a table or a list).

A text in square brackets [Category] is a lookup operator and picks the named element from an object (either a column from a table or a field from a record.

The ? is used to cater for missing values: If the desired element can actually not be found, instead of an error, then null will be returned instead.

If you want to learn more about the basics of the M-language, please check out this page that is the start of a nice compact introduction: Power Query M Formula Language Introduction - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Learn

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

khom
Frequent Visitor

Hi Imkef,

I've started using the code. I have this scenario whereby:

if my combo listed as below:

e.g.

1. A-B-C =  Categorized as " Football"

2. A-B-C-D = Should Categorized as "Soccer", but this one is categorized as "Football" instead.

Is there a way to address this?

khom
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the detailed explanation and your help. This clarifies my doubt. 

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @khom 

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps. See it all at work in the attached file.

let
    Source = Table1,
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Item", Int64.Type}, {"Combo", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Category", each 
    let 
       combo_ = Text.Split([Combo], "-"),
       res_ = Table.SelectRows(LookUpTable, (inner)=> List.Count(List.Intersect({combo_, Text.Split(inner[Lookup], "-")})) = List.Count(Text.Split(inner[Lookup], "-")))
    in 
       try res_[Category]{0} otherwise null),

#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom1",{{"Category", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

khom
Frequent Visitor

Hi AIB,

I've started using the code. I have this scenario whereby:

if my combo listed as below:

e.g.

1. A-B-C =  Categorized as " Football"

2. A-B-C-D = Should Categorized as "Soccer", but this one is categorized as "Football" instead.

Is there a way to address this?

khom
Frequent Visitor

Hi AIB. Thanks. This is work as intended. I will take a look on List.Intercept function that you used. Sorry, initially I unable to open the your file directly since my version of powerbi is outdated.

Mahesh0016
Super User
Super User

@khom 

>> Go to power query >> select "Table1" >> Go to Home tab Merge Queries >> Select Lookup Table >> Select Bottom Use fuzzy Matching >> Get Your Out Put >> Select Merge Queries and as new your needs.

Mahesh0016_1-1672222607577.png

Mahesh0016_0-1672222556891.png

**Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos !!

Thanks. This is working too. I never tried fuzzy matching before. Glad to know it does the work.

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @khom ,
not sure I fully understand the requirement: Would C-B-A also classify as Football or must the order of the characters be maintained and just their position with the substring be ignored?

khom
Frequent Visitor

Hi @ImkeF. For this case, the order of A-B-C does not matter. C-B-A is classified as Football as long as character this combination of A,B,C is there. You are right, the position within the substring is ignored.

Hi @khom ,
I would use the List.ContainsAll function for it.
Therefore you have to split up the strings into list by using "-" as delimiter:

let
  Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name = "Table1"]}[Content], 
  #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source, {{"Item", Int64.Type}, {"Combo", type text}}), 
  #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "ListOfValues", each Text.Split([Combo], "-")), 
  #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(
    #"Added Custom", 
    "Category", 
    each Table.SelectRows(
      Lookup_Table, 
      (LookupTable) => List.ContainsAll([ListOfValues], LookupTable[ListOfValues])
    ){0}?[Category]?
  )
in
  #"Added Custom1"

Please also check the file enclosed.

khom
Frequent Visitor

Thanks a lot. This is exactly what I'm looking for. 

May I clarify below items:

1. What does (LookupTable) indicate?

2. {0}? [Category]? what does it indicate

3. Operator of => means?

each Table.SelectRows( Lookup_Table, (LookupTable) => List.ContainsAll([ListOfValues], LookupTable[ListOfValues]) ){0}?[Category]?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors