Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dsm

OData feed stopped working

I have a SharePoint site from which I pull data into Excel and PowerBI using OData. Until today, the connection has been solid and problem free. However, today it has stopped working. The problem started after I did some cleanup on the SharePoint site--deleting multiple items from a list, and adding others. The list that I was working in is a lookup field for items in another list, but that doesn't seem to me like a reason why the OData feed should have broken. FYI, I am the owner of the SharePoint site, but I made no structural changes to the site at all--I just added and deleted items. When I try to refresh the OData feed from Excel, I get this error message:

----------

We couldn't refresh the connection 'connection_name'. Here's the error message we got:

The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.
Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
-----------

I did do a few things to try to narrow down the source of the problem. First, I created a brand new PowerBI project and a brand new Excel file, and in both I tried to create a new OData connection to the SharePoint site. But I get the following error when it tries to establish the connection:

-----------

Unable to Connect

We encountered an error when trying to connect

Details: "OData: Request failed: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive."

-----------

Second, I tried to establish an OData connection to a different SharePoint site on the same server. That worked flawlessly.

So it seems that by adding and removing items in a SharePoint list, I've broken the OData connection. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If anyone has ideas or solutions, I'd be grateful to hear from you. Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dsm,

In your scenario, did you connect to on-premise SharePoint list or online SharePoint list? Power BI desktop provide OOTB data source for us to connect to on-premise or online SharePoint list, how about the results when you try those data sources?

z1.PNGq2.PNG

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors