Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

adamc28
Regular Visitor

Merging Queries to reduce rows

Hi All,

I am currently merging queries to reduce the number of rows I am loading into Power BI and I am wondering if it is the most efficient process or not. 

I currently have an incident table with nearly half a million rows from only a few months or so of data (system migration), long term we will be reporting on the last 18 months of data from this source, so I expect the number of rows to reach the millions.

As a result I'm trying to reduce this by merging queries with a contact table (same source), to only filter by certain contacts the incident has been assigned to, opened by, closed by etc. But at this point I'm now doing mutiple merges as these fields are all GUIDs that need to be merged with the contact table to retrieve names and other information that I can use to filter by. 

I know from a modelling perspective not to ultimately load these in as I have a few different contacts tables as dimension tables in my model. But given that mering queries is so taxing and I'm doing it multiple times now I wondered if there are any rules as to what best practice is in this scenario.

I have been advised by colleagues that SQL views would be the best way to do this, but unfortantely I or an available colleague do not have the skills for that.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @adamc28 ,

If you don't want to merge queries, you can try to filter the data source before loading data, please refer to the below solution:

Solved: Filetring my table before importing in PowerBi - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors