Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FilipF
Frequent Visitor

List.Accumulate() two parameters at the same time

Hello all,

For the past couple of days I was discovering List.Accumulate() function. It works well but the problem appears when I need to pass two parameters at the same time. In my real case scenario, I have an sql connector and I need to pass two parameters:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(
        {
            {"material_table","db1"},{"customer_table","db2"}
        },
        {"Table","Schema"}
    ),
    Qry = (tbl as text) =>
        let

Source = Databricks.Catalogs(p_server_hostname, p_http_path, [Catalog=null, Database=null, EnableAutomaticProxyDiscovery=null]),
            Database = Source{[Name=p_db,Kind="Database"]}[Data],
            gold_Schema = Test_Database{[Name="silver_sap",Kind=(parameter I want to pass is schema name so in first iteration db1))]}[Data],
            transactions_view = gold_salesforce_Schema{[Name= (parameter I want to pass is table name so in first iteration material_table ) ,Kind="View"]}[Data],
            SelectColumn = Table.SelectColumns(transactions_view,{"lakehouse_inserted_at"}),
            Distinct = List.Distinct(SelectColumn[lakehouse_inserted_at]),
            Table = Table.FromRecords(
                    {
                            [Table = tbl,Refresh = Distinct{0}]

}
            )
        in 
                Table,

Iteration = List.Accumulate(Source[Source] (Here we should pass a list but how to pass a pair of parameters),{}, (s,c) => s & {Qry(c)}),
    CombineData = Table.Combine(Iteration),

Because it's hard to test a code, below find very similar example.. here Power Query raise an error that column name was not found. But is there anyone who can solve this and correct?

let
    // Sample table with columns: ID, Name, Age
    sourceTable = Table.FromRecords({
        [ID = 1, Name = "John", Age = 25],
        [ID = 2, Name = "Jane", Age = 30],
        [ID = 3, Name = "Bob", Age = 22],
        [ID = 4, Name = "Alice", Age = 35]
    }),

// Sample WHERE clause parameters
    whereColumn = "Name",
    whereValue = 30,

// Define the accumulation function with two parameters (table and WHERE clause)
    accumulationFunction = (currentTable as table, columnName as text, columnValue as number) =>
        let
            filteredTable = Table.SelectRows(currentTable, each _[columnName] = columnValue)
        in
            filteredTable,

// Initial state with the source table
    initialState = sourceTable,

// Use List.Accumulate with the wrapper function
    resultTable = List.Accumulate(
        {{whereColumn, whereValue}},
        initialState,
        (state, current) => accumulationFunction(state, current{0},current{1})
    )
in
    resultTable

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
spinfuzer
Super User
Super User

filteredTable = Table.SelectRows(currentTable, each _[columnName] = columnValue

should be

filteredTable = Table.SelectRows(currentTable, each Record.Field(_,columnName) = columnValue

I think your sample column was probably intended to be Age not Name.  What are you intending to do?  Filter a table by multiple parameters? (e.g. Age = 30 and Gender = F and etc.)

Or are you trying to add the results of multiple filters separately? (Age = 30 or Gender = F or etc.)

View solution in original post

Two different ways below

let
    }),

whereColumnList = {"Age","Age"}, //method 1 Create two lists and use List.Zip
    whereValueList = {30,25},
    wherePairs = //method 2 just make a list of lists
        {
            {"Age", 30},
            {"Age", 25}
        },

// Define the accumulation function with two parameters (table and WHERE clause)
    accumulationFunction = (currentTable as table, columnName as text, columnValue as number) =>
        let
            filteredTable = Table.SelectRows(currentTable, each Record.Field(_,columnName) = columnValue)
        in
            filteredTable,

initialState = Table.Buffer(sourceTable), // might want to try this with and without table.buffer and see which is faster

List.Zip({whereColumnList,whereValueList}), // wherePairs will work too, don't need List.Zip in that case
        #table({},{}),
        (state, current) => Table.Combine({state,accumulationFunction(initialState, current{0},current{1})})
    )
    //FinalTable = Table.Combine(resultTable) Don't need this, do it in the List.Accumulate.  
    //List.Accumulate iterates through a list in the first argument
    //but your seed in argument two can be any type.  Make it an empty table and table combine as you iterate through the list.
in
    resultTable

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
spinfuzer
Super User
Super User

filteredTable = Table.SelectRows(currentTable, each _[columnName] = columnValue

should be

filteredTable = Table.SelectRows(currentTable, each Record.Field(_,columnName) = columnValue

I think your sample column was probably intended to be Age not Name.  What are you intending to do?  Filter a table by multiple parameters? (e.g. Age = 30 and Gender = F and etc.)

Or are you trying to add the results of multiple filters separately? (Age = 30 or Gender = F or etc.)

Yes, indeed. Should be Age instead of Name. 
Anyway, I implemented required changes and the code works as expected. Thanks a lot!
But let me ask a further question. How the code should look like if we would like to select/change two records instead of one? I've applied changes to the code but it will return error of course...

let
    }),

whereColumn = "Age",
    whereValue = 30,
    whereColumn2 = "Age", 
    whereValue2 = 25,

let
            filteredTable = Table.SelectRows(currentTable, each Record.Field(_,columnName) = columnValue)
        in
            filteredTable,

initialState = sourceTable,

{{whereColumn, whereValue},{whereColumn2,whereValue2}},
        initialState,
        (state, current) => accumulationFunction(state, current{0},current{1})
    ),
    FinalTable = Table.Combine(resultTable) 
in
    FinalTable

let
    }),

whereColumn = "Age",
    whereValue = 30,
    whereColumn2 = "Age", 
    whereValue2 = 25,

let
        in
            filteredTable,

initialState = Table.Buffer(sourceTable), // might want to try this with and without table.buffer and see which is faster

{{whereColumn, whereValue},{whereColumn2,whereValue2}},
        #table({},{}),
        (state, current) => Table.Combine({state,accumulationFunction(initialState, current{0},current{1})})
    )
    //FinalTable = Table.Combine(resultTable) Don't need this, do it in the List.Accumulate.  
    //but your seed in argument two can be any type.  Make it an empty table and table combine as you iterate through the list.
in
    resultTable

Thanks! It's very close to the final solution but my question would be is there any way to avoid hardcoding. In lines 10 to 14 we define a variables (objects we want to iterate over), but we need to repeat hardcoding in line 28 where we need to insert {whereColumn,whereValue},{whereColumnt+1,whereValue t+1 etc}. Is there any way to automate this part of list.Accumulate?

FilipF_0-1703231885943.png

Two different ways below

let
    }),

whereColumnList = {"Age","Age"}, //method 1 Create two lists and use List.Zip
    whereValueList = {30,25},
    wherePairs = //method 2 just make a list of lists
        {
            {"Age", 30},
            {"Age", 25}
        },

let
        in
            filteredTable,

List.Zip({whereColumnList,whereValueList}), // wherePairs will work too, don't need List.Zip in that case
        #table({},{}),
    )
in
    resultTable

That is what I wanted. Thank's a lot! 🙂

AlienSx
Super User
Super User

Hello, @FilipF in "similar example": you can't use _[columnName] where columnName is text variable. It must be "hardcoded" otherwise use Record.Field(_, columnName)

Yes, it works however please find my second message above as it's more closely what I wanted to solve (two parameters instead of once that is hardcoded)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors