Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interpolate missing data with group by column

Hello All,

I would like to have blank values to be filled with interpolated values as per the dates and name column values.

Sample data:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("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", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Datetime = _t, Name = _t, value = _t]),
    #"Added Suffix" = Table.TransformColumns(Source, {{"Datetime", each _ & ":00", type text}}),
    #"Changed Type with Locale" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Suffix", {{"Datetime", type datetime}}, "en-NA"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type with Locale",{{"value", type number}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

I have a column which has tag names and here i have sample data of two tags for two days.

The columns i have here as Datetime, NAME and value columns.

for each name i want to fill the blank values using interpolation by Name column of the datetime.

I found multiple blogs and community questions on interpolation most of them using dax but not with power query.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Linear-Interpolation-with-Power-BI/ba-p/341202

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/68416307/power-bi-power-query-m-linear-interpolation-over-time-s...

Can anyone please help me on calculating interpolation values.

Thanks,

Mohan V.

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ronrsnfld  i have added few more data in this one drive folder of excel file.

data.csv
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmauTLNmHKexhGk_35S3lYSDxxQs?e=5NcD4K

Could you please check on the same.

Unable to download your file.

Below is code that

• interpolates missing values using a "straight-line" between the entries surrounding the missing values
  • If the sequence starts with a null or series of nulls, those will be ignored.
  • If the sequence ends with a null or series of nulls, those will be ignored.

Custom function to do the interpolateion

Rename a blank query => fnStraightLineInterpolation

(t as table)=>

let 
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(t, {"value"}, {
        {"Null Count", each if [value]{0}=null then List.Count([value]) else 0, Int64.Type}},
        GroupKind.Local),

#"Shifted" = Table.FromColumns(
            Table.ToColumns(#"Grouped Rows")
            & {List.RemoveFirstN(#"Grouped Rows"[value] & {null})}
            & {{null} & List.RemoveLastN(#"Grouped Rows"[value])},
            type table[value=number,Null Count=Int64.Type, after Null=number, before Null=number]),

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Shifted, "Interpolation", each 
        if [Null Count] = 0 then {[value]}
            else let 
                    increment = ([after Null] - [before Null]) / ([Null Count]+1),
                    values = if increment = null
                                then List.Repeat({null},[Null Count])
                                else List.Numbers([before Null] + increment, [Null Count], increment)
                in 
                    values, type list),

//Merge back with Datetime and Name columns
    #"Result" = Table.FromColumns(
                    Table.ToColumns(Table.SelectColumns(t,{"Datetime","Name"}))
                    & {List.Combine(#"Added Custom"[Interpolation])},
                type table[Datetime=datetime, Name=text, Value=number])

in
    #"Result"

Main Query

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("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", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Datetime = _t, Name = _t, value = _t]),
    #"Added Suffix" = Table.TransformColumns(Source, {{"Datetime", each _ & ":00", type text}}),
    #"Changed Type with Locale" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Suffix", {{"Datetime", type datetime}}, "en-NA"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type with Locale",{{"value", type number}}),

//Group by Name
//  then interpolate each subgroup
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Name"}, {
        {"All", each fnStraightLineInterpolation(_)}}),

//Remove unneeded column and Expand the table
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Grouped Rows",{"Name"}),
    #"Expanded All" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Columns", "All", {"Datetime", "Name", "Value"}, {"Datetime", "Name", "Value"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded All",{{"Datetime", type datetime}, {"Name", type text}, {"Value", type number}})

in
    #"Changed Type1"

Part of output after interpolation

ronrsnfld_0-1677101319839.png

Graphic output before and after processing

ronrsnfld_0-1677119042982.png

Out of town now. But have a method for straight line Interpolation of missing data points ignoring missing data at very start or end. Will post later this week.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ronrsnfld Linear would be great.

ronrsnfld
Super User
Super User

What kind of interpolation? Linear or something else?

Or just a straight line interpolation between the points surrounding the missing values?

If the latter, how do you want to extend the values for the beginning/end where there is no boundary value?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ronrsnfld straight line interpolation between the points surrounding the missing values is what I'm looking for.

For the straight line interpretation solution, how will you handle the situation where there is no starting value as at the top of your table?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ronrsnfld  Is it possible to make it by max and min value's available just like how it is calculated using dax in below link

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Linear-Interpolation-with-Power-BI/ba-p/341202

That solution does not show values prior to the first given value. In your table, there are a number of empty values prior to the first known value. That requires extending the trend line. And my question is how do you want to handle that if you are doing a straight line Interpolation between given values?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ronrsnfld  Thanks for all the inputs but unfortunately I do not have any idea on how to manage it.

could you please suggest a best method of implementation where we can fill those missing data.

The suggestions would have to do with the shape of the data. I'm sure someone better versed in statistics would have a better idea, but the data you present does not seem lend itself to a least-squares trend.

Here is a graph of your data for the first day:

ronrsnfld_1-1676837391468.png

For where you  have one or two blanks within the data, I suppose you could just "connect the dots". But what do you do for the first twelve data points? There is nothing to connect to, and the pattern is not well defined. Although anything can be programmed, you are the one that will need to decide what to do. I don't know of a viable method to interpolate long periods given this kind of data. One or two missing are probably not a problem. But you have much more than that at the start of your data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors