Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kana_K

If Statement - check if the table has a column

Hello,

I am a beginner in power query and need help.

I have a table that has 3 or 5 columns depending on the month. Columns 1-3 are always in the table. I would like to use the IF statement.

I would like to check if column 4 is present in the table. If yes then insert a new column ([Column2]+[Column4]) otherwise the new column contains the values from column2.

I have tried this but it does not work:

if Table.HasColumns(#"previous step", „Column4”) then (Table.AddColumn(#"previous step", "SUM", each [Column2] + [Column4], type number) else null) else Table.AddColumn(#"previous step ", "new column", each [Column2])

What is wrong with this query?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
durgaraop21
Helper I
Helper I

= if Table.HasColumns(#"PrevStep","ColumnName") then #"PrevStep" else Table.AddColumn(#"ColumnName","ColumnName", each 0)

tackytechtom
Super User
Super User

Hi @Kana_K ,

Here a way of doing this:

Case A (including Column4):

Before:

tackytechtom_0-1675599709835.png

After:

tackytechtom_1-1675599733843.png

Case B (Without Column4):

Before:

tackytechtom_2-1675599762941.png

After:

tackytechtom_3-1675599775023.png

Here the code in Power Query M that you can paste into the advanced editor (if you do not know, how to exactly do this, please check out this quick walkthrough)

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WSkxKVtJRMjQyBpKJBQU5qSCegYGBUqxOtFJKahqQa2JqBiSTEvOAEMgwAsvGAgA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t, Column3 = _t, Column4 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", Int64.Type}, {"Column3", type text}, {"Column4", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Column" = if Table.HasColumns(#"Changed Type", "Column4") then Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "NewColumn", each [Column2] + [Column4]) else Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "NewColumn", each [Column2])
in
    #"Added Column"

Having quickly compared your code with mine, I reckon the "else null" could have created the hickup. Otherwise, I think our code follows a very similar pattern (except that you do the number casting directly in the code, which actually makes more sense to me 🙂 )

Let me know if this helps!

/Tom
https://www.tackytech.blog/
https://www.instagram.com/tackytechtom/

Did I answer your question➡️ Please, mark my post as a solution ✔️

Also happily accepting Kudos 🙂

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn! linkedIn

#proudtobeasuperuser 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors