Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

mep
Frequent Visitor

How to retrieve data from an Amazon OpenSearch Service (Beta) connector in DirectQuery Mode

Documentation says Amazon OpenSearch Service (Beta) connector supports 

• DirectQuery (Power BI Datasets)

source: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/amazon-opensearch-service

I setup this connection and it works but I can't select the data I need in direct query mode. Previously I used ODBC-based connection with import mode and I could select the data using native query and running SQL. The following are the examples of which one I used and another example of the connection I am trying to switch to.

OpenSearch ODBC DSN; supports Native Query, Doesn't support DirectQuery

let
    Source = Odbc.DataSource("dsn=opensearch"),
    result = Value.NativeQuery(Source, "SELECT * from index_name limit 2;")
in
    result

Amazon OpenSearch Service (Beta); supports DirectQuery, doesn't support Native Query

let
    Source = AmazonOpenSearchService.Contents(<url>, <port>, true),
    result = Source{[Item="index_name",Schema=null,Catalog=null]}[Data]
in
    result

With OpenSearch connector, I can connect to my OpenSearch instance in DQ model, I can see some of my data (by default it returns top 1000 rows), but I have no way to modify the query to select the data I need from the OpenSearch instance. Ideally I want to be able to have a DQ connection to my OpenSearch instance and do full-text searches

2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mep ,

Go to "Get data", choose the connector.

vstephenmsft_1-1686707528227.png

In the Data Connectivity mode, you can choose DirectQuery.

vstephenmsft_0-1686707461642.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

Thank you Stephen,

I can succesfully setup the connection under the DQ mode as you are showing. However, I'm encountering a limitation with the connector. Once the connection is established, I find myself restricted to retrieving only the top 1000 rows of data. Unfortunately, I don't have the option to access the remaining data or apply filters to control the selection of the top 1000 rows. This limitation significantly hinders my ability to make the most of this connector.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors