Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

monojchakrab
Resolver III
Resolver III

How to isolate text or numbers trailing a particular text string

Hey good people,

I am trying to get the pack number from a table as below :

monojchakrab_0-1689405671533.png

Towards this end, I wrote a code as below, which works part of the way :

if Text.Contains([Title],"pack",Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase) and not Text.Contains([Title],")") then Text.End([Title],1) else 1

But where the string "Pack" does not occur at the end of the [Title] string, then it does not return the required number but returns the character which is there at the end of the string.

Is there a way, I can isolate the number coming after the string "pack of", irrespective where this string occurs within the [title]?

Any help much appreciated.

best

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Test this and let me know if there is any exception. If yes, I will need that data where you get exception

try Number.From(Text.Split(Text.Split([Title],"Pack of"){1}," "){1}) otherwise 1

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

You can just use "of " and " |" as delimiters, since as you know, 

Text.BetweenDelimiters(text as nullable text, startDelimiter as text, endDelimiter as text, optional startIndex as any, optional endIndex as any) as any

So = Table.AddColumn(PriorStepOrTableName, "Quantity", each Text. Between Delimiters([ColumnName], "of ", " |"), type text)

But listen, it appears that this is a table with one column. But if "Title" is the name of your single table column, then you are good.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
monojchakrab
Resolver III
Resolver III

it should pick up the number occuring right after the space after "of"

Test this and let me know if there is any exception. If yes, I will need that data where you get exception

try Number.From(Text.Split(Text.Split([Title],"Pack of"){1}," "){1}) otherwise 1

@Vijay_A_Verma - Thanks for the quick revert.

However , the formula is probably not playing out fully and returning this error :

[Expression.Error] There weren't enough elements in the enumeration to complete the operation.

How can I send you a link for the [Title] Column from the table?

@Vijay_A_Verma - Vijay, I ran it again, and this time it worked. I most certainly used "" instead of " ", by oversight. Thanks a lot.

Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

What is the expected answer for these scenarios when following appears at the end

Pack of
Pack of 3 x 150gms
Pack of 2 (2 x 150 gms)

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors