Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sylbaryn

How can I split a column of data into 2 columns, based on the value of another column

Hi.

My data only has two columns. A Product Number and a Customer Number. Each product must have either one or two associated customers and a customer can have as many products as they want. My aim is to split the Customer Number column into Customer 1 and Customer 2 columns (Customer 2 column to be blank if there isn't a second customer). But based on the product Number, so we only ever have one row for each product number. 

Is this possible in power query? I've been messign about pivoting and unpivoting but can't find a solution. 

Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you. 

Go from the first table to the second. 

Sylbaryn_1-1699119236756.png

Sylbaryn_0-1699119178341.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ronrsnfld
Super User
Super User

You can use the Table.Group function. The code below assumes that there is one or two customers per Product. If there might be more, the code can be rewritten to handle any number of customers.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQAAiUdJVMDpVgdJK4hnGsI4hrBuUYgrjEq1wTONQZxTVG5ZnCuCSrXFNUoU6hRsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Product Num..." = _t, #"Customer Nu..." = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Product Num...", Int64.Type}, {"Customer Nu...", Int64.Type}}),

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Product Num..."}, {
        {"Customer 1", each [#"Customer Nu..."]{0}, type nullable text},
        {"Customer 2", each try [#"Customer Nu..."]{1} otherwise null, type nullable text}
    })
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

ronrsnfld_0-1699125367634.png

View solution in original post

Thank you so much. I can pretend to understand at first glance but I'll be delving into your suggestion. Thanks again

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ThxAlot
Super User
Super User

For arbitary count of columns,

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQAAiUdJVMDpVgdJK4hnGsI4hrBuUYgrjEq1wSFa2lpic5HCBiD1Juics3gXBNUrimqXaZQu2IB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Product Number" = _t, #"Customer Number" = _t]),
    #"Grouped by Prod Num" = Table.Group(Source, "Product Number", {"Prod", each [Customer Number]}),
    Columns = {#"Grouped by Prod Num"[Product Number]} & List.Zip(#"Grouped by Prod Num"[Prod]),
    #"To Table" = Table.FromColumns(Columns)
in
    #"To Table"

ThxAlot_0-1699128526550.png

Expertise = List.Accumulate(

{Days as from Today},

{Skills and Knowledge},

(Current, Everyday) => Current & Day.LeanAndPractise(Everyday)

)

Thank you very much

ronrsnfld
Super User
Super User

You can use the Table.Group function. The code below assumes that there is one or two customers per Product. If there might be more, the code can be rewritten to handle any number of customers.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQAAiUdJVMDpVgdJK4hnGsI4hrBuUYgrjEq1wTONQZxTVG5ZnCuCSrXFNUoU6hRsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Product Num..." = _t, #"Customer Nu..." = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Product Num...", Int64.Type}, {"Customer Nu...", Int64.Type}}),

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Product Num..."}, {
        {"Customer 1", each [#"Customer Nu..."]{0}, type nullable text},
        {"Customer 2", each try [#"Customer Nu..."]{1} otherwise null, type nullable text}
    })
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

ronrsnfld_0-1699125367634.png

Thank you so much. I can pretend to understand at first glance but I'll be delving into your suggestion. Thanks again

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors