Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jasleen_kaur
Frequent Visitor

Get data from SharePoint groups into power BI Desktop

Hi,

Wondering is there any other way to get Sharepoint online users/Site Groups in Power BI i.e. Sharepoint List Url Could I use etc?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jasleen_kaur ,

By my research, here are some of the results I found:

• One option is to use PowerShell script to export users and site groups to a CSV file, then import the CSV file into Power BI. You can also set up a scheduled job to overwrite the CSV file with fresh data every day. Refer to: import Sharepoint online users and site groups int... - Microsoft Fabric Community.
  • Another option is to create a Power BI dataset directly from a SharePoint list. This is a feature that allows you to quickly create a full-fledged Power BI dataset that you can use to create reports, analyze in Excel, and more. You can also refresh the data manually or set up scheduled refresh. To create a dataset from a SharePoint list, you need to open your SharePoint list, select Export > Export to Power BI, and follow the instructions. For more details, see this article.
  • A third option is to embed a report web part in SharePoint Online. This is a way to display a Power BI report on a SharePoint page. You need to have access to both the SharePoint Online page and the report in the Power BI app. To embed a report web part, you need to edit the SharePoint page, add the Power BI web part, and configure it with the report URL. For more information, see this article.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jasleen_kaur ,

By my research, here are some of the results I found:

• One option is to use PowerShell script to export users and site groups to a CSV file, then import the CSV file into Power BI. You can also set up a scheduled job to overwrite the CSV file with fresh data every day. Refer to: import Sharepoint online users and site groups int... - Microsoft Fabric Community.
  • Another option is to create a Power BI dataset directly from a SharePoint list. This is a feature that allows you to quickly create a full-fledged Power BI dataset that you can use to create reports, analyze in Excel, and more. You can also refresh the data manually or set up scheduled refresh. To create a dataset from a SharePoint list, you need to open your SharePoint list, select Export > Export to Power BI, and follow the instructions. For more details, see this article.
  • A third option is to embed a report web part in SharePoint Online. This is a way to display a Power BI report on a SharePoint page. You need to have access to both the SharePoint Online page and the report in the Power BI app. To embed a report web part, you need to edit the SharePoint page, add the Power BI web part, and configure it with the report URL. For more information, see this article.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors