Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

spdevInnoventix
Regular Visitor

Get Data from Active Directory

Hello All,

Thanks in advance!

I would like to connect all the users data from My Active Directory to Power BI is there any way to do that because whenever I try to connect the domain it fails to connect and says domain not found.

10 REPLIES 10
AnetaK
Helper V
Helper V

Do I need to have any special rights granted (admin or sth)?

Can I be a regular AD user?

pfarias
Helper I
Helper I

This discussion is old but the subject is no. So just to leave a solution here, ideally you will use the Microsoft Graph REST API.

To access Active Directory Online data, the API will be able to access all data from both AD and even Shrepoint Lists and other information. It is with it that you will even be able to manipulate data from AD or Sharepoint.

Documentation Microsoft Graph

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @spdevInnoventix ,

You can connect to Active Directory from Power  BI Desktop following the instructions in this blog, load user table and computer table into Desktop.

In addition, here is similar thread about how get AD attributes in Power BI for your reference.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-stephen-msft 

When I used this blog and try to connect domain name which I got from portal.azure.com it shows that domain doesn't exists.
My domain name - xyzmydmain.onmicrosoft.com

Hi @spdevInnoventix ,

I think your domain name may be wrong, please follow the steps below to check your own domain name.

1. From the “Administrative Tools” menu, select “Active Directory Domains and Trusts” or “Active Directory Users and Computers“.
  2. Right-click the root domain, then select “Properties“.
  3. Under the “General” tab, the “Domain name”  is displayed on the screen.

vstephenmsft_0-1637631232714.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am using online version of Active Directory so in my case this won't help me.

Hi @spdevInnoventix ,

Does online version of Active Directory refer to Azure AD? You may check domain from this:

Find tenant ID, domain name, user object ID - Partner Center | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I tried but same not able to connect

Gabriel_Walkman
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

What connector did you try, and what url? You can replace company name etc. with something generic in the url if you want to anonymize it for us to see.

What does "all data" contain?

Thanks for your reply,

I tried my luck with this thread - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Get-Data-Active-Directory/td-p/73726

But I didn't want to execute any function what i want is direct query so I tried with Azure AD connector.

Also for me Microsoft Graph connector is not visible, I don't know why.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors