Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

DSwezey
Helper III
Helper III

Formatting Visuals to have a static size (scale)

I have 2 different matrixes measuring Income by month in the top matrix and Expenses by month on the bottom matrix.

I want to visually have each matrix aligned with one another to mimic how it would look like in Excel.

What I mean by that is I want to have each matrix the same width and heigh lining up each column, but also want them to remain static and not change in size when filtering data. Is this at all possible?

DSwezey_1-1635529893239.png

2 REPLIES 2
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DSwezey 

I watched the video @mwegener shared. It's smart and amazing. I never thought of that. And based on that trick I'd like to share another trick that may be helpful. 

After you follow the video's trick to set up the widths and heights and get a satisfied result, you want it to be static and won't be changed by users. However, when you drag the gridlines, you will change them. Now you can insert a rectangle shape into the report and move it to cover the matrix. In Format pane, turn off its Fill option to make it transparent. Then in Selection pane, make sure Shape is on top layer of Matrix, select both of them and click ... to group them. Then they will be a group object. When you move mouse cursor above the matrix, you will find you cannot move the gridlines. 

But this trick also have a large limitation that when a shape covers a matrix, you cannot do any operations on the matrix. If report users want to click on the matrix to do some operations or interact with other visuals, they will not be able to do that. This is an important concern. 21110305.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated:

We can reduce the size of the rectangle shape to only cover column headers of the matrix.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Hi @DSwezey,

there is a trick with the "Auto-size column width" setting

Power BI: Define Matrix Column Width

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwQojt8rus0

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast - Power BI Tutorials

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors