Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RDVT
Frequent Visitor

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned :'OLE DB or ODBC error

Hello all,

I am getting this error when I try to run my query into PowerBI. Can anyone help me with understanding why this is happening and how do I correct it?

RDVT_0-1646417839229.png

6 REPLIES 6
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RDVT ,

In the advanced editor in Power Query, the M language we use, the language you feed back to @Daryl-Lynch-Bzy  looks like an SQL statement.

We can enter the sql statement when we connect to the database in power bi desktop.

vstephenmsft_1-1646732044323.png

Import data from a database using native database query - Power Query | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-stephen-msft That is exactly what I am doing. I am writing my SQL query when I am connecting to the DB itself.

Hi @RDVT ,

I found the following for the cause and solution of the error, please refer to:

Cause: Attempt to convert a negative number to an unsigned integer.
Action: Use the sign flag ORLTSB to convert a signed number.

Reference:Oracle 12cR1 OCI-22063 reading negative value [string] as unsigned

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @RDVT - can you provide more details about the Power Query.  Could you insert the Advanced Editor text (without sensitive details)?

Select T1.RUNID, T1.RUN_DATE, T2.BMT_NAME, T3."MRK_LNG", T3."MRK", T4.RESULT, T5."MATERIAL", T1.RUN_STATE, T4."READING",T3."USL", T3."LSL"

FROM "DB"."RUN" T1, "DB"."BMN" T2, "DB"."MRK" T3, "DB"."MED2" T4,"DB"."MAT" T5, "DB"."TESTRUNS" T6

WHERE T1.BMT_ID (+)= T2.BMT_ID
AND T1.DATE_ID (+)= T3.DATE_ID
AND T3."NUM" (+)= T4."NUM"
AND T1.PRT (+)= T4.PRT
AND T1.SID (+)= T5.SID
AND T1.RUN_DATE (+)= T6."RUN_DATE"
AND T4."KEY" (+)= T6."KEY"

AND T1.RUN_STATE in ('F','P')
AND T5."MATERIAL" in ('xx')

AND T2."BMT_NAME" in ('STM-T3070-52','STM-T3070-11')

AND T1."RUN_DATE" >= sysdate-2
AND T1."RUN_DATE" <= sysdate

RDVT
Frequent Visitor

@Daryl-Lynch-Bzy  I have changed the table names as it had sensitive information. I hope this helps you understand. The query runs just fine in SQL but when I try to integrate that in PowerBI it shows the above error

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors