Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

LeroyPaul
Helper I
Helper I

Dynamic value replacement based on column type

Hello,

I have been stuck with this problem for several days. Here is the problem:

I have data columns with numbers except some are with "," and some with "."
I would like to dynamically convert the columns containing "." to ","

Here is an example : 

XXX PriceYYY PriceXXX QuantityYYY QuantityProduct
11,5512.4013.5012,50AAAAA
18,9015.9074.6065,15BBBBBB
21,5025.9054.9061,10CCCCC

What I want is that all the columns that contain "Price" and "Quantity" are changed to type Number by replacing the "." by ","

Knowing that it must be dynamic because I have columns "ZZZ Price" and "ZZZ Quantity" that can appear.

I tried this solution:

= Table.TransformColumns(Source, List.Transform(List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(Source),each Text.Contains(_,"Price") or Text.Contains(_,"Quantity")), (col) => {col, each _ ?? null, type text}))

This code converts everything to text which allows me to change the "." to ","
But I have an error on the columns that don't contain "." because the type of these columns don't seem to be changed to text

Thanks for your help

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LeroyPaul
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you for your answers, they helped me find the solution.

The problem comes from my formula that allows me to dynamically change the type of columns that contain the words "Price" and "Quantity".

So I used the following formula to change the type of the columns to text :

= Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source, List.Transform(List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(Source),each Text.Contains(_,"Price") or Text.Contains(_,"Quantity")), each {_, type text}))

This allowed me to use the following formula to replace the "." by "," without error :

= Table.ReplaceValue(PreviousStep,".",",",Replacer.ReplaceText,List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(PreviousStep),each Text.Contains(_,"Price") or Text.Contains(_,"Quantity")))

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LeroyPaul
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you for your answers, they helped me find the solution.

The problem comes from my formula that allows me to dynamically change the type of columns that contain the words "Price" and "Quantity".

So I used the following formula to change the type of the columns to text :

= Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source, List.Transform(List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(Source),each Text.Contains(_,"Price") or Text.Contains(_,"Quantity")), each {_, type text}))

This allowed me to use the following formula to replace the "." by "," without error :

= Table.ReplaceValue(PreviousStep,".",",",Replacer.ReplaceText,List.Select(Table.ColumnNames(PreviousStep),each Text.Contains(_,"Price") or Text.Contains(_,"Quantity")))

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @LeroyPaul ,

You want to replace the "." in multiple columns with ",", right? 

If so, first make sure the columns contains "." are text type.

vstephenmsft_0-1675665408685.png

You can remove the "Change Types1" from Applied Steps to make them text.

vstephenmsft_5-1675665860991.png

Or select them and change types manually to make them text.

vstephenmsft_6-1675665922743.png

After the text type modification is complete, select columns at the same time, and then right-click a column to select the "Replace Values...".

vstephenmsft_2-1675665733584.png

vstephenmsft_3-1675665748709.png

vstephenmsft_4-1675665755373.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thank you for your answer.
Your solution allows me to do the operation in a static way but does not take into account the name of the columns so that it is dynamic.
As I will have new columns that will be added to my model later, these columns will not be modified using this solution.
Thanks for your explanations and for the detail of your solution

Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @LeroyPaul  - you should consider using the Replace in Multiple Columns - Gorilla BI in two steps rather than Transform Columns in one step.  Use the Table.ColumnNames function to find Price and Quantity in these separate applied steps.

Thank you for your answer,
I was able to develop my thoughts with the help of this website.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors