Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmurph16

Distinct Values

Hello!

we had a tricky issue with counting number of duplicate rows in our BI table, we are having a really tough time formulating a DAX code to generate differentiating repeating values. So basically what we want to do is for unique values to display "0" then for multiple repeating numbers, we want to integrate a count value. So if there are repeating values, we want the new row to give a them seperate value. Shown below in our "test" table in excel, the "count" column gives us a count of repeating number. Anyway anyone can help with implementing a formula that would work for us Power Bi?
mmurph16_0-1679596989732.png

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

I don't know how you'd do it in DAX, but in Power Query, you could first Group By Employee Number, use a Count aggregation (let's name it "RowCount" and an All Rows aggregation (let's name it "Details", and then add an Index (beginning at 1) to each of the nested tables, and subtracting 1 from each Index value where the count of rows is 1. So after the Group By step:

Table.TransformColumns(PriorStepOrTableName, "Details", each Table.AddIndexColumn(_, "Count", 1, 1), Int64.Type)

Now you can expand the column, but your single row value will be 1 instead of zero. So now you can go

Table.AddColumn(PriorStepOrTableName, "CorrectCount", each if [RowCount] = 1 then 0 else [Count])

--Nate

Good to go!

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors