Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Einomi
Resolver II
Resolver II

Declare a variable in a step

Hi all,

I have the following code to add the ISO week number based on my column date, which is called DateProduced

AddWeekNo = Table.AddColumn(#"Colonnes renommées1", "Week No",
            each if
            Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear([DateProduced])-(Date.DayOfWeek([DateProduced], Day.Sunday)+1)+10)/7)=0
            then 
            Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear(#date(Date.Year([DateProduced])-1,12,31))-(Date.DayOfWeek(#date(Date.Year([DateProduced])-1,12,31), Day.Sunday)+1)+10)/7)
            else if
            (Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear([DateProduced])-(Date.DayOfWeek([DateProduced], Day.Sunday)+1)+10)/7)=53
            and (Date.DayOfWeek(#date(Date.Year([DateProduced]),12,31), Day.Sunday)+1<4))
            then
            else 
            Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear([DateProduced])-(Date.DayOfWeek([DateProduced], Day.Sunday)+1)+10)/7)),

I use this step into many queries and I would like to add a variable INSIDE this step to be able to update the column date, in this query my dates are sitting in the column DateProduced, but in other queries they are sitting in different columns names such as OrderDate, Date etc...

Anyone can help ?

Thanks for your time

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

oh sorry about that the date at the end should be removed:

AddWeekNo = Table.AddColumn(#"Colonnes renommées1", "Week No", each 
            let date = [DateProduced] in
if
            Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear(date)-(Date.DayOfWeek(date, Day.Sunday)+1)+10)/7)=0
            then 
            Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear(#date(Date.Year(date)-1,12,31))-(Date.DayOfWeek(#date(Date.Year(date)-1,12,31), Day.Sunday)+1)+10)/7)
            else if

etc....

in fact you should be able to just add this almost anywhere:

let myVar = SomeCalculation in

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Einomi
Resolver II
Resolver II

Thanks @artemus 

However, I am not sure where to put it in my M code above

Does it work if I do like below ?

AddWeekNo = Table.AddColumn(#"Colonnes renommées1", "Week No",
            let
               date = [DateProduced]
            in
               date

each if
            Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear(date)-(Date.DayOfWeek(date, Day.Sunday)+1)+10)/7)=0
            then 
            Number.RoundDown((Date.DayOfYear(#date(Date.Year(date)-1,12,31))-(Date.DayOfWeek(#date(Date.Year(date)-1,12,31), Day.Sunday)+1)+10)/7)
            else if

etc....

The problem with your example is that you have the each after the let. Any code before each doesn't have access to the current row. In short, a let before the each would make any values you declare the same for every row. If after the each, then it can access the row data.

. You can put the let in anaywhere you would put a number or a string, or similar value. 

@artemus  I am sorry I am still confused, any chance you could help with writing the code, look like you know very good M code 🙂 😉

From your example, you would move the each up to just before your let statement like:

let
               date = [DateProduced]
            in
               date

if
            then 
            else if

etc....

Hi @artemus 

Thanks for your reply.

However, my query editor indicated me that we need a comma like below

let
    mydate = [DateProduced]
in
    mydate,

etc...

From here there is no more syntax erros, however, in the UI, I got an error saying that PQ cannot find mydate...

oh sorry about that the date at the end should be removed:

let date = [DateProduced] in
if
            then 
            else if

etc....

in fact you should be able to just add this almost anywhere:

let myVar = SomeCalculation in

Hi @artemus it seems to work now, thanks for your time and your help

artemus
Employee
Employee

you can use let .. in anywhere e.g.

Table.AddColumn(Source, each 
let 
   sum = [A] + [B],
   calc = (sum - [A]) * (sum - [B])
in
   calc)

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors