Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kcoyle11

Data Source Only showing one table

Hello I am connecting to a data source through odbc connection. The connection previously worked fine but it is now showing only one of the tables in the Database. Any ideas??

20 REPLIES 20
marcopaulo

Hi @arify,

since the Power BI August version was released the problem with Firebird ODBC seems to be solved. Now all the tables are been showed when using Get Data instead of only one.

Thank you for your assistance.

My best,

Marco Paulo.

Yes, we handled that issue, thanks to your bug report 🙂 I'm glad to hear it works now.

marcopaulo

Hi. I am facing the same problem as @kcoyle11.

When I am using Power BI Desktop (Version: 2.36.4434.362 32-bit (junho de 2016)) it connects through ODBC to the Firebird database, but shows only one table (the first one). The database I am accessing has 466 tables.

I am using Firebird 2.5.1.26351 (Win32), Firebird ODBC 2.0.4.155_Win32. I have created a DSN in ODBC Admin. The test connection is successful either the connection using Excel 2016 and Access 2016 through ODBC. In both cases they show me all tables.

I have tried to use the "Connection string" instead of DSN, but it does not work either.

Could you help us in founding out the problem? Thanks.

Power BI Navigator ScreenshotPower BI Navigator ScreenshotAccess screenshotAccess screenshot

Hi,

Can you send us a frown? We'll need some traces. Also, can you turn off HierarchicalNavigation? The way to do that is: Go to Advanced editor and change HierarchicalNavigation=true to false.

Thanks

Hi, @arify. Thank you for your reply.

Sorry, but what is a "frown"? How can I sent it to you? Also, I can not find where to apply your instruction "Go to Advanced editor and change HierarchicalNavigation".

Please give more instructions.

Thanks.

Oh, sorry for the unclear reply.

Here's how you send a frown email:

Untitled.png

In the email you can mention this thread & put the screenshots.

About the other thing, this is a simpler way: Go to "Get Data" > "Blank Query" and then type this to the formula bar:

= Odbc.DataSource("dsn=YOURDSNNAME")

Thanks

Frown sent.

Please tell me if you do not get it.

Thanks.

Did anyone find anything more on this?

Hi kcoyle,

We'll investigate why the Firebird ODBC driver is acting like this 🙂 Meanwhile, you can turn off the HierarchicalNavigation, and it should work fine. To do that:

Go to "Get Data" > "Blank Query" and then type this to the formula bar:

Thanks

Hi Arify, 

I did your suggestion , 

And the tables appering on the thatsheet as a table data but , How can I do to It Show on Get Data Window?

Thanks in advanced

I don't understand what you mean by making it show up in the Get Data window. Do you mean you want Firebird button to appear under "Get Data" > "Databases", like SQL Server or MySQL?

I want to connect with one of my firebird's tables or views . For it , I beleve that  have to : Get Data> ODBC> "Mydns" and at this moment all of my tables and views for this dsn will show below.  How can i connect if it doesn´t shows . Just the firts table is showing.

Hi,

Doing

is equivalent to that ODBC button, the only difference is that it disables HierarchicalNavigation (groups tables under schemas etc. instead of showing all of them in same list). When you do the work around I give you, you don't need the ODBC button anymore 🙂

This work around gets me a listing of all my tables. How would you load multiple tables as you do when you use the traditional odbc method.

Oh, I see what you mean. When you pick multiple tables, basically what it does is creating multiple queries from scratch. I think you'll have to do this one by one with different queries for each table you want to import.

Hi Arify, 

I did your suggestion , 

And the tables appering on the thatsheet as a table data but , How can I do to It Show on Get Data Window?

Thanks in advanced

kcoyle11

I am using a DSN for a Firebird Database.

Can you please give us some more information?

Some screenshots, ODBC traces etc?

Thanks

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@kcoyle11 If you're connecting via ODBC and straight from power bi desktop entering connection strnig then you can try going through DSN option where create system DSN first and use that in power bi destkop. If you are already using DSN then avoid that route and enter connecting string for ODBC straight in power bi. You can try both ways to see which ones fix your problem. I have seen this worked for me previously when connecting to database for which there isn't in-built connector.

arify
Employee
Employee

Hi,

What's the datasource? Can you show us a few screen shots?

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors