Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Reply
PBI-Curious
Resolver I
Resolver I

Data Source Error - Column does not exist

Power BI Community - Good Day!

Some of the column names in my source data have changed. What are best practices to resolve? I tried deleting the column in my data view, for I couldn't delete in power query due to the error. Once I find the update names can I correct in my data view or something else?

Not certain how to clear the error so I can proceed.

Regards,

 

 

klsmith_dnb_0-1627403412968.png

 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @PBI-Curious ,

 

I've not worked with Amazon RedShift sources before, but you should be able to select your Source and Navigation steps within Power Query and see the original data as it's first pulled in. From here, you just go down the step list one-by-one and, when a step throws an error, look at the M code for that step in the formula bar and remove/update any reference to your missing/changed field name.

 

If you are getting an error even on the source step, I can only guess that the field list is hard-coded somehow into your connection string. You may be able to see more details on this using Advanced Editor on your query then, as above, updating any references to the offending field.

 

Pete



Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!




View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PBI-Curious
Resolver I
Resolver I

Pete

 

Understood, much appreciated!

 

Thank you

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @PBI-Curious ,

 

I've not worked with Amazon RedShift sources before, but you should be able to select your Source and Navigation steps within Power Query and see the original data as it's first pulled in. From here, you just go down the step list one-by-one and, when a step throws an error, look at the M code for that step in the formula bar and remove/update any reference to your missing/changed field name.

 

If you are getting an error even on the source step, I can only guess that the field list is hard-coded somehow into your connection string. You may be able to see more details on this using Advanced Editor on your query then, as above, updating any references to the offending field.

 

Pete



Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!




Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors