Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

goncalogeraldes
Super User
Super User

Creating a table with all parameters' names and values

Hello there community! I have to create a table containing all the parameters used in Power Query and its corresponding values without the use of the =#shared function because I need it to be available later on in the model and refresh it in the service. So, for example, imagine I have three parameters, I would like to have the following table in PQ:

Parameter Name Value
Parameter1 abc
Parameter2 def
Parameter3 ghi

This needs to be dynamic since the developer can later on add or remove parameters from the model and so this table needs to be updated accordingly. I have been going around this for quite some time but without any luck!

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion given!

Best regards,

Gonçalo Geraldes

4 REPLIES 4
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Accessing #shared in service is not supported for these. In this case, I would suggest that you should maintain the table in a separate query.

Developers can lookup a parameter thus its associated value in their queries.

Then from this table, rows can be edited or added or deleted. 

My question is related to how to develop the table in a dynamic way. That is, how can I have a table which has all of the parameters and it's values?

Best regards, 

Gonçalo Geraldes

The model which I am proposing is doing away with parameters as #shared will not be accessible in Power BI service. Rather than using New / Manage Parameters interface of Power Query, you should use a query to store equivalent parameters' names and values. 

Even if you use Parameters, you still have to create/edit/delete parameter values manually only. Manual angle will not go away.  Somebody will have to do it. The same will have to be done in the query.

This is a trade-off which I am proposing to circumvent limitation of #shared in Power BI service.

Yeah thats the system we have right now which implies manual intervention and maintenance of the auxiliar parameter table. I wa wondering of there is any way of going around the #shared issue while maintaing the automation. Thanks anyway for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors