Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SQL_SousChef
Frequent Visitor

Creating Dim Table in Power query

I have seen some solution already in here and on YouTube as well regarding creating Dim Table from a Fact Table in power query. The examples I have been have been anywhere from 100k to 300k rows Fact Table, right click on column need and create new query from there. My Fact Table is 9m to 10m rows depending on the number of months pulled. The SQL Query itself is not the fastest table to load. My question is should I create an additional table that is pulling distinct ids and names from that Fact Table or should I duplicate the Fact Table I am loading and remove other columns and duplicates. Looking to learn what the best practice for a large table should be for this request.

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@SQL_SousChef Is your data source an actual SQL Query as in "SELECT * FROM 'Table'" or are you hitting a view or something? If it is, then it would be best to modify that query to just grab a single column because otherwise it will load your entire fact table twice.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@SQL_SousChef Is your data source an actual SQL Query as in "SELECT * FROM 'Table'" or are you hitting a view or something? If it is, then it would be best to modify that query to just grab a single column because otherwise it will load your entire fact table twice.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you, yes it is a actual SQL Query where I can select the columns needed. Wasn't sure if that was the best practice or if I could just duplicate and remove the columns since I have the dataset already.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors