Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

unnipbi123
Helper II
Helper II

Create a dynamic row for the table in Power query based on the column value

Hello all,

I have an invoice report which has the data in .csv file. I am importing this csv file into power bi to create reports. The table structure of the file is as below.

unnipbi123_0-1681967575188.png

Total amount is the addition of Email cost + Accounting cost

Now the challenge that I have is, I need to separate the Accounting cost from this and so it as a separate product under product name.

So the row needs to be created for the same organization with the product name as “Accounting” and show the accounting cost of $200 under that. also from the total amount for product name “Email”, $200 of accounting cost needs to be reduced.

After I make changes, my table should look like below.

unnipbi123_1-1681967575192.png

Please let me know if there is any idea to achieve this in Power query editor.

3 REPLIES 3
kirete17
Frequent Visitor

Custom1 = 
        List.TransformMany(
            Table.ToRows( PreStep ),
            each
                let
                    l = List.Range( _, 4, List.Count( _ ) - 5 ),
                    c = List.Skip( Table.ColumnNames( PreStep ), 4 )
                in
                    List.Transform(
                        List.Positions( l ),
                        (x)=> { Text.BeforeDelimiter( c{x}, " " ) } & List.Repeat( {null}, x ) & { l{x} } & List.Repeat( {null}, List.Count( l ) -x -1 ) & { l{x} }
                    ),
            (x,y)=> List.FirstN( x, 2 ) & {y{0}, x{3} } & List.Skip( y )
        ),
    Custom2 = 
        Table.FromRows( Custom1, Table.ColumnNames( PreStep ) )
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

NewStep=Table.FromRecords(List.TransformMany(Table.ToRecords(PreviousStepName),each if [Accounting Cost]=0 or [Accounting Cost]= null then {[]} else {[#"Accounting Cost"=null,#"Total Amount"=[Email Cost]],[#"Product Name"="Accounting",#"Email Cost"=null, #"Total Amount"=[Accounting Cost]]},(x,y)=>x&y))

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @unnipbi123 ,

As this data is to be used in Power BI, then the 'correct' way to handle this is as follows:

-1- Remove your [Total Amount] and [Product Name] columns. In the example query below I've used 'Remove Other Columns' (remOthCols step).

-2- Rename your [Accounting Cost] and [Email Cost] columns to just 'Accounting' and 'Email', as these will become your new [Product Name] column.

-3- Multi-select (Ctrl+click) your [Ord ID], [Org Name], and [Invoice ID] columns (and any others you have that aren't [Email] or [Accounting]).

-4- Go to the Transform tab > Unpivot Columns (dropdown) > Unpivot Other Columns

-5- Amend the generated unpivot code in the formula bar to name the new [Attribute] and [Value] columns with friendlier names, like this:

BA_Pete_1-1681969986793.png

...goes to:

BA_Pete_2-1681970035009.png

This now gives the optimal data structure for reporting in Power BI.

Once you've sent it to the data model, you would create measures like this for visualisation:

_productCost_email =        // For use in cards etc.
CALCULATE(
    SUM(yourTable[Amount]),
    yourTable[Product Name] = "Email"
)

_productCost_accounting =   // For use in cards etc.
CALCULATE(
    SUM(yourTable[Amount]),
    yourTable[Product Name] = "Accounting"
)

_productCost_total =       // For use in any visual where other dimensions are used for context
SUM(yourTable[Amount])

Example query:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQwNDZT0lEKTk1JylTIzEvWA3JccxMzc4C0oaWloSmQNjKxNDMwBDEMDCBcCyA3NhYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Org ID" = _t, #"Org Name" = _t, #"Poduct Name" = _t, #"Invoice Id" = _t, #"Email Cost" = _t, #"Accounting Cost" = _t, #"Total Amount" = _t]),
    chgTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Org ID", Int64.Type}, {"Org Name", type text}, {"Poduct Name", type text}, {"Invoice Id", Int64.Type}, {"Email Cost", Int64.Type}, {"Accounting Cost", Int64.Type}, {"Total Amount", Int64.Type}}),

remOthCols = Table.SelectColumns(chgTypes,{"Org ID", "Org Name", "Invoice Id", "Email Cost", "Accounting Cost"}),
    renameCols = Table.RenameColumns(remOthCols,{{"Email Cost", "Email"}, {"Accounting Cost", "Accounting"}}),
    unpivOthCols = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(renameCols, {"Org ID", "Org Name", "Invoice Id"}, "Product Name", "Amount")

in
    unpivOthCols

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors