Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PBIBeginner2022
Helper III
Helper III

Create a column with only dates of the current month

Hi everyone,

I have this column in my date table with date between 1899 to 2201 :

PBIBeginner2022_0-1657528708818.png

I need to create an other column in this table with dates of all day in current month. We are in july, I want only the date in format dd/mmmm/yyyy of the current month. And when we will in August I want only the same date for the august month and same for next month.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can use either of the formulas, second was provided by @BA_Pete 

= if Date.ToText([DateRef],"yyyyMM")=Date.ToText(Date.From(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()),"yyyyMM") then [DateRef] else null
= if Date.IsInCurrentMonth([DateRef]) then [DateRef] else null

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

I am not sure how you want to insert the dates as a column, below is the formula to create a list of dates for current month which you can expand

= [d=Date.From(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()), s=Date.StartOfMonth(d), e=Date.EndOfMonth(d), Dates=List.Dates(s,Duration.Days(e-s)+1,#duration(1,0,0,0))][Dates]

@Vijay_A_Verma 

Thanks for your answer. It's that I want !!!! But when I insert your code, I see only the new column, I will keep my older column and I have in addtion my new column in the same table

You can put that formula in a custom colum and then expand the column. If you needed different output, then if you can show me some sample output I can create the code for you. 

@Vijay_A_Verma ,

I atteched the code in advanced editor and my screen on this table in Power Query.

PBIBeginner2022_0-1657533341063.png

PBIBeginner2022_1-1657533357575.png

let
Source = Requête1(#date(1899, 1, 1), #date(2201, 12, 12), null),
#"Colonne Anee-Mois renommée" = Table.RenameColumns(Source,{{"Annee-Mois", "Mois-Année"}}),
#"Type modifié" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Colonne Anee-Mois renommée",{{"DateRef", type date}})
in
#"Type modifié"

So against, 1-1-1899, you need 7/1/2022.....1-31-1899, you need 7/31/2022 and from 1-Feb-1899, it will once again start with 7/1/2022 and so on...

OR

Against 1-1-1899, you need all dates for July and for 1-2-1899, all dates of July and so on... 

@Vijay_A_Verma 

In my table, I have all day between 01/01/1899 to 01/01/2201 as you can see below :

PBIBeginner2022_0-1657541918323.png

I need all days of the current month. At the moment  we are in July so I want an additional column with all days of July (the first of july to July the 31). In one month, we will in August and I want replace the value of this new coloumn by alls days of August and so on for all months of the year

01/01/1899 to 01/01/2201 - It means that there would be 110304 cells in a column. Hence, when I insert a new column, it would contain 110304 cells. Now July would contain only 31 days.

If I populate 31 cells, then what should I populate in remaining 110304-31 cells.

Should I keep repeating July dates again and again or after populating 31 cells, I should keep remaining as blanks?

So question is about populating other than 31 cells...

@Vijay_A_Verma 

Yes, I would only 31 values and 110304 - 31 cells with no value. I need this to a chart in Powe BI DeskTop

Use this

let
    #"Colonne Anee-Mois renommée" = Table.RenameColumns(Source,{{"Annee-Mois", "Mois-Année"}}),
    #"Type modifié" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Colonne Anee-Mois renommée",{{"DateRef", type date}}),
    Result = Table.FromColumns(Table.ToColumns(#"Type modifié")&{[d=Date.From(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()), s=Date.StartOfMonth(d), e=Date.EndOfMonth(d), Dates=List.Dates(s,Duration.Days(e-s)+1,#duration(1,0,0,0))][Dates]},Table.ColumnNames(#"Type modifié")&{"Dates"})
in
Result

@Vijay_A_Verma 

I think we misunderstood each other. I don't want to replace the values but to have null on all my rows except on the corresponding rows. I want the date that in front of 01/07/2022 in the column DateRef, that there is 01/07/2022 in the column Dates for the row that corresponds to the same date. And that only for the current month. Do you understand? In the date column I only want the date in date format of the days in the month in which we are currently and the other dates in null.

Then in a custom column named Dates, put following formula

= if Date.ToText([DateRef],"YYYYMM")=Date.ToText(Date.From(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()),"YYYYMM") then [DateRef] else null

Complete code would be

let
    #"Type modifié" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Colonne Anee-Mois renommée",{{"DateRef", type date}}),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Type modifié", "Dates", each if Date.ToText([DateRef],"YYYYMM")=Date.ToText(Date.From(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()),"YYYYMM") then [DateRef] else null, type date)
in
    #"Added Custom"

@Vijay_A_Verma Sorry but It's not what I search to do.

I want duplicate my DateRef column and delete all lines except date in the current month. Moreover I want a system which display each current month the date of this month.

In july 2022, I want the date of day of this month.

In august 2022, I want the date of day of the month of August 2022 and delete the date of july 2022.

And so on for the other month

If you can post the mock-up of your result, that would be easier for us to give the solution. You can create the result in Excel and post a screenshot here.

@Vijay_A_Verma , I found the "errors". You have filtered on each July of each year. I only want day of current month and current year. Is it good for you ?

You can use either of the formulas, second was provided by @BA_Pete 

= if Date.ToText([DateRef],"yyyyMM")=Date.ToText(Date.From(DateTime.FixedLocalNow()),"yyyyMM") then [DateRef] else null
= if Date.IsInCurrentMonth([DateRef]) then [DateRef] else null

@Vijay_A_Verma@BA_Pete  Thank you very much for your help

Hi @PBIBeginner2022 ,

@Vijay_A_Verma has provided a working solution for you, but I think the following might be easier:

if Date.IsInCurrentMonth([dateRef]) then [dateRef] else null

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors