Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

NewbieRedTed

Create New Column w Multiple Relationship Values Based on Other Column w Multiple Values

I'm new to PowerBI. I'm probably not doing this the right or the most efficient way, but I have to create various dashboards that provide Company Pursuit data during set time periods (e.g., Quarterly, monthly, etc.) such as:

1. Company Pursuit Data for IndustryA including:
    1. 2022 Q4 vs 2023 Q1 Pie Charts for:
      1. All Outcome (Win/Loss) for that Industry's Pursuits
      2. RFP vs Pitch Outcome
      3. Prospect vs Existing Client Outcome
      4. All RFPs - Prospect vs Existing Client Outcome
      5. All Pitches - Prospects vs Existing Client Outcome
    2. Table of all Company Pursuits with Company, Team_Mems, ClientType, PursuitType, Outcome
    3. Table of each Team Member and count of total Pursuits for which they are included
  2. Cumulative data for all Industries

My raw data includes hundreds of Company Pursuits with more than 1,000 Team Members from over 15 Industries.

Most Companies have more than one team member all of whom may either be from the same industry, different industries, or some from the same and others from different unique industries. As outlined in the list above, I have to create a dashboard with all cumulative data and then, another where they can see data for each Industry without Pursuits being counted multiple times for those with multiple team members, again, some of whom also belong to the same industry. 

I've been able to create 1.B from the above list without duplicates included. I was also able to create 1.A.a-e originally, but it required a ton of data work where I had to spend a ton of time creating new columns and got so wrapped up with that mess that I don't even know how originally created those things without duplicates being counted. 

I've tried splitting multi-value columns to different rows, different columns, and a combination of the two alongside a relationship table containing each Team Member and their cooresponding Industry, but it's too convoluted and each Pursuit is being counted multiple times in the totals or they appear multiple times in a dashboard table listing Pursuits for each applicable Industry. 

What's the best way to handle the columns with multiple values, some with multiple relationships, so I can filter according to Industry without duplicate Company Pursuits appearing in the dashboards? I thought I could create a multi-value column with the cooresponding Industries and then another one based on that column that only displays unique values.  Thoughts other than needing to do far more PowerBI lessons? Any and all guidance is appreciated!

NewbieRedTed_0-1682098666909.png

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please provide sample data that covers your issue or question completely, in a usable format (not as a screenshot).
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-...
Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors