Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Converting Decimal Hour to HH:MM Format

Hi All,

I am trying to convert a column which has value stored as decimal hour to hh:mm format.

For eg:
2.78 - 02:46
25.56 - 25:33
Also attached a pbix file for reference. 
Quick help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Syndicate_Admin 

Try this column

Column = 
VAR _hours = INT('Table'[TIMEDECHOURS])
VAR _minutes = ROUND(('Table'[TIMEDECHOURS]-_hours)*60,0)
RETURN
RIGHT("0"&_hours,2)&":"&_minutes

21120803.jpg

With above code, the column is of Text type. If the hours part is larger than or equal to 100 hours, it would return an incorrect value. You need to modify the hours part in that case. And I used ROUND function for minutes part. You could replace it with ROUNDUP or ROUNDDOWN if needed. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Hi Guys, thanks for the suggested solutions, but I need a return in Time format instead of text.
I have tried a whole bunch of possibilities online, but no solutions that works.

Value in the column, for example: 0,1667 => that is 10 minutes

I have added a new column with a formula:
xx_starting_time_reformat = FORMAT(TIME(TRUNC(KPI_ODOO_account_analytic_line[xx_starting_time],0),(KPI_ODOO_account_analytic_line[xx_starting_time]-TRUNC(KPI_ODOO_account_analytic_line[xx_starting_time],0))*60,0),"long time")

The formula works great to convert time from decimals to time format, but it won't work when I use it for duration, especially when it is less then 1 hour.

Error: An argument of function 'TIME' has the wrong data type or the result is too large or too small.

v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Syndicate_Admin 

Try this column

Column = 
VAR _hours = INT('Table'[TIMEDECHOURS])
VAR _minutes = ROUND(('Table'[TIMEDECHOURS]-_hours)*60,0)
RETURN
RIGHT("0"&_hours,2)&":"&_minutes

21120803.jpg

With above code, the column is of Text type. If the hours part is larger than or equal to 100 hours, it would return an incorrect value. You need to modify the hours part in that case. And I used ROUND function for minutes part. You could replace it with ROUNDUP or ROUNDDOWN if needed. 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

@Syndicate_Admin I couldn't find any attachment. It would be great if there is a DAX formula to resolve this. Is there any possibility to get a calculated column which displays the decimal hours in hh:mm format.

Thanks again

KNP
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I think Duration.From([YourDecimalTime]/24) is what you're looking for.

See modified attached PBIX.

Edit: You can't have the HH:MM format (unless you want it as a text column) when your values exceed 24 hours.

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors