Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Yrmouf
Regular Visitor

Convert coordinates lambert 93 {[Coordinate X],[Coordinate Y]} into Latitude and Longitude

Hello everyone,

It has been a few weeks I am using Power Query and Power BI, however there are still a very important amount of things I have to learn.

Usually when I am confronting an issue, I would find the answer through the community. However, I am now stuck with the following problem and I do think there is an answer with Python from what I read from other website.

However, I am totally unfamiliar with Python and I do hope there is another way to do it on Power Query.

Here is my issue, I have two columns {[Coordinate X],[Coordinate Y]}, which are in lambert 93 format for instance:

{[722364.9],[6919869.7]}

But Power BI seems to only accept latitude and longitude coordinates.

How can we convert it but massively both columns?

Indeed there is a website where you can do it one by one, but there are more than 100k rows

Convertisseur de coordonnées gratuit en ligne (tool-online.com)

And another link I thought would help me was Python but my knowledge is for the moment too limited:

How to convert Lambert 93 to longitude and latitude with python 3 (moonbooks.org)

Many thanks in advance if someone could guide me!

Best regards

5 REPLIES 5
ronrsnfld
Super User
Super User

What system are converting the Lambert 93 coordinates into?  WGS84 or something else?

Hello @ronrsnfld ,

It would be WGS84 indeed to fit powerBI visualization.

ams1
Super User
Super User

Hi @Yrmouf 

It shouldn't be very complicated - have you tried asking ChatGPT for the solution?

"Give me the powerquery code to convert lambert projection to wgs"

If that doesn't work please get back here and I'll have a look.

__Marc__
Frequent Visitor

This is the most unhelpfull response I've ever seen.

"have you tried asking ChatGPT for the solution" ...

Oh boy, the humanity ....

Yrmouf
Regular Visitor

Hi @ams1 ,

Thanks for your advice, I tried so, but the code does not seem to work, I ended up with the following code

let
    Source = #"RPLS", // replace <Table> with the name of your source table
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Lat_Long", each let
        x = [Coordonnée X], // replace [Coordonnée X] with the name of your Lambert X coordinate column
        y = [Coordonnée Y], // replace [Coordonnée Y] with the name of your Lambert Y coordinate column
        wgs84 = List.Transform(
                  CoordinateSystem.Transform( #"EPSG:2154", #"EPSG:4326", {x, y} ), 
                  each Number.Round(_, 7)
                ),
        lat = wgs84{0},
        long = wgs84{1}
    ),
    #"Expanded Lat_Long" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Lat_Long"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded Lat_Long", {"Lat_Long", "Lat_Long_WGS"}),
    #"Expanded Lat_Long_WGS" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Lat_Long_WGS"),
    #"Extracted Values" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Expanded Lat_Long_WGS", {{"Lat_Long_WGS", each Text.Combine(List.Transform(_, Text.From), ","), type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Extracted Values", "Lat_Long_WGS", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(",", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Latitude", "Longitude"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Latitude", type number}, {"Longitude", type number}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

It looked like after prompting CHatgpt that 

CoordinateSystem.Transform

function is the source of the problem as it looks like I have to load a library, but I am not quite sure to do so when I looked into the one it adviced me to load but I guess I have to download from somewhere, but where to download it and where to load it?

Spatial = Extension.Load("Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Spatial")

Also, why the code does not take into account the variable "Spatial"?

Many thanks for your help

Have a nice day

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors