Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Dax_Rookie
Frequent Visitor

Connecting to Heroku PostgreSQL + Timeout Expired = Use Tableau?

Hi,

I had connected my PowerBi to our PostgreSQL DB hosted on Heroku. A week ago or so, I started getting timeout errors when loading even the smallest tables.

As far as I can understand, there ist not really a solution for people with timeout issues who are trying to connect to a Heroku database. I am summarizing my understanding of the issue below to try and highlight the problems - if there really is no solution there might be a few relatively simple features that could solve the problem.

I have already posted on this problem here but am opening a separate thread because I view the Heroku case as a separate issue.

Importing data via the "PostgreSQL" option

• Error: "An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'TlsClientStream.ClientAlertException: CertificateUnknown: Server certificate was not accepted.
  • Proposed solution: Download NpgSQL 2.8.1 and save the SSL certificate in the Windows certificate store.
  • Heroku problem: It's not possible to download the SSL certificate of the server
  • Possible feature solution: Allow for connections without SSL certificate?

Importing data via the ODBC option

• Error: I have managed to set up the connection; I can connect to the server and see the table. However, when I try to load any table with more than 10 rows, I get a "timeout expired" error.
  • Proposed solution: Change the amount of time PowerBI waits before the connection times out (e.g. in the Advanced Editor, as suggested in the thread I posted on, or via connection string properties).
  • ODBC problem: I am not sure if it is possible to change the timeout period? Here’s a link that seems to be relevant, it says:
    • “Unlike the .NET Framework data providers for SQL Server and OLE DB, the .NET Framework Data Provider for ODBC does not support setting this property as a connection string value, because it is not a valid ODBC connection keyword. To specify a connection time-out, set the ConnectionTimeout property before calling Open. This is equivalent to setting the ODBC SQLSetConnectAttr SQL_ATTR_LOGIN_TIMOUT attribute.”
    • Can I change this in a .dll file or something?
  • Possible solution: Maybe allow this timeout setting to be set within PowerBI?

If anybody has found a solution / seen anything I've missed, would be grateful for your help! I imagine this isn't an uncommon problem, so would be great to find a solution for this specific case.

Thanks,

Dax_Rookie

2 REPLIES 2
Galat198
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi @Dax_Rookie ,
Did you find a solution for the Heroku ODBC timeout problem?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dax_Rookie,

I don't have much more knowledge about Heroku PostgreSQL. Regarding your issue, please try download the latest Power BI desktop version to see if the issue is mitigated. If issue persists, I would suggest you create a support ticket to get dedicated support. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors